Best Malz Heidelberg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

arctic78
Reaction score
Got myself some of this and was wondering what to brew with it.
I understand it is very light in colour and is ok to use as a substitute for pilsner malt.
Not sure wether to brew an IPA or Belgian or do a larger style. Just looking to hear what others have brewed and what you thought of it.

Thanks.

Got myself some of this and was wondering what to brew with it.
I understand it is very light in colour and is ok to use as a substitute for pilsner malt.
Not sure wether to brew an IPA or Belgian or do a larger style. Just looking to hear what others have brewed and what you thought of it.

Thanks.
It's not just similar to a pilsner malt, it is pilsner malt. This is my base malt for every beer I make, it has great flavor and higher efficiency than other pils malts I've used, higher than even other German pils malts. It comes from Heidelberg region hence the name, but it's really the light kilning that makes it a pils malt. If you want to brew something that will bring out the flavors of this malt try a Munich helles, which is a very pale style, and hop it with hallertauer hops. Helles was my first brew with this malt and it turned out to be the best beer I've made so far. Or try brewing a pilsner, throw in some pale malt and vienna for richer flavor and a little color, that's my other favorite recipe with this malt. I like to ferment both of those in the mid-50s with Kölsch yeast to create lager-like ales in half the time it takes to brew a true lager. This malt is also perfect for brewing a Belgian Tripel; no specialty malts needed, just table sugar to boost the gravity, then ferment it warm with trappist yeast for an excellent high-potency ale.

It's a wonderful malt, you made a good choice.

Edit: I forgot to mention, many people suggest always mashing and boiling for 90 minutes with pils malt; I've tried both 60 and 90 minutes and 60 works well for me, no problems with DMS as this seems to be a very highly modified malt. YMMV.

Last edited:
Great Thanks for the info. I was debating weather to do a protein rest with it but will give it a miss going on what you have said.
Was told by the guy at the HBS that it is good for light coloured ales also but might try a larger as I have not brewed one yet . Have stayed away from them only because of the time to brew and ferment one as I don't get to brew a lot due to work and family and like to always have something to drink .

I have some Mt. Hood hops they should do for a substitute to Hallertauer ??

Again thanks for your reply.

I don't have experience with mt. hood but there's only one way to find out! I'm sure it will turn out delicious but check out some noble hops when you have the chance, they really are wonderful in pale styles.

Sounds like it's good for Lagers. Where can I buy some? None of my local shops carry it.

Back