Best Hops for NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK1992

Reaction score
Hi everyone, what are some of the best hops people have used for NEIPAs? I did one recently where I used mosiac, citra, galaxy and el dorado. I dry hopped for 5 days with 12.5grams per litre. I added some citra at 5mins during the boil and then all four of the hops at flamout. I was pretty happy with the beer but for my next one I am thinking of doing 20 grams per litre dry hop and only adding hops at flame out and none in the boil.
For my hops this time I had thought about citra, azacca, and vic secret. Possibly some mosiac. I am after a really juicy tropical flavoured IPA this time.

Any thoughts?

I have been digging Pekko recently. Good stone fruit vibe going on with that one. I don't do NE style IPAs though so IDK how it would do with those massive quantities. I assume it would taste pretty good.

Warrior, Citra, Apollo

Or Idaho 7, El Dorado & Belma.

I have made beers that didn’t add hops to the boil and when you have a small dose at 60min (14g for 5gal batch) I have found the beer to taste way more complex. Chemically they must help in the 60 minute boil.

Citra seems to be one of the most popular from what I have read and seen on different beer ingredients

I am thinking of using 3 or 4 from the following:
Citra
Ekuanot
El Dorado
Vic Secret
Galaxy
Mosiac
Simcoe
Azacca

Will likely brew two beers that day thinking of going for a NEIPA at around 6.5-7% and go for a real juice bomb with Ekuant, Azacca, El Dorado and Simcoe.

The next one will be like a session NEIPA at round 4-4.5% and I am thinking of going with Simcoe, Mosiac, Galaxy and possibly Vic Secret, Citra or neither

Warrior, Citra, Apollo

Or Idaho 7, El Dorado & Belma.

I have made beers that didn’t add hops to the boil and when you have a small dose at 60min (14g for 5gal batch) I have found the beer to taste way more complex. Chemically they must help in the 60 minute boil.

I’d recommend shifting the 60 min generic bittering hop to 5 min and use a flavor/aroma hop (1-2 oz depending on AA and whirlpool extraction rate on your system, basically targeting 10 IBU in boil and 30 IBU in whirlpool for IPA abv range).

There's been plenty of threads where this has been discussed such as this one, and at various points in the 8000 posts of the main NEIPA thread. Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy seems to be the classic combination which makes a good place to start (assuming you can get hold of Galaxy), but note eg Equanot/Citra/Bravo getting a shout here.

To some extent it just depends on personal preference, there's no "right" answer other than to keep experimenting, with hops and yeast.

What is the consensus on hop schedule and ratios for citra/mosaic/galaxy?

Back