Best homebrewing app for iPhone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuke395

Reaction score
I just recently got back into homebrewing. I’m sure this has been asked but what is everyone’s favorite iPhone compatible homebrewing app?

Interested in the responses as well. Despite trying to do everything on my phone, I haven’t downloaded or used a single app for brewing. Beersmith on the desktop is my main, but I see no need to buy it for the phone.

Also see no need for any other brewing apps. But I feel it’s because i don’t know what’s out there.

Like @trevelynzx, I use mainly the desktop version of Beersmith 3. I do have the mobile version on my iPad but I find it cumbersome and not as easy to use as the desktop version. The only reason I bought the mobile version is so that I wouldn't be hogging the laptop (from my wife) on brew day. The only thing I really end up using is the timer function during the mash and boil.

I use Beersmith 3 on my desktop to create my recipes, then save to the cloud and use the iphone/ipad app for the brew day timer and log session data out in the garage.

I’m sure this has been asked but what is everyone’s favorite iPhone compatible homebrewing app?

While it's not an iOS app (in the Apple store), BrewFather appears (to me) to be a web application ("homebrewing as a service"?) to consider for those who have a phone as their only "computer".

I actually purchased Beersmith for my iphone before the desktop version sort of by accident. Like others, I create recipes on the desktop, but I really like having it on my phone as well.

- I like using the app when I'm shopping for ingredients. Everything is right there, and if I need or want to make any last minute tweaks or hop alpha adjustments, I can. Sometimes a brew store doesn't have something and I'm able to adjust my recipe right there.
- I also like having the beers I've got on tap or in bottles saved in the cloud so that I can share more about the recipe while drinking/sharing beers.
- The app has some cool tools that I use often like Hydrometer Adjust when I'm taking readings and need to calibrate temp. I also use the Alcohol and Attenuation to check my ABV.

Are there any free apps out there? Just getting into the hobby and still trying to keep the costs down. Have been using brewgr.com for recipe creation and their “brew session” on brew days. It’s web based so on a tablet it works ok but looking for a phone app as is the OP. I know beersmith isn’t expensive so please don’t roast me just have to ask.

Are there any free apps out there?

Yes.

addition (about two hours after initially posting this comment): the 'app' I mentioned is a phone friendly web site. I'm of the opinion that 'race to the bottom' on native iOS pricing is over and I sense that for specialty apps, both app developers and app users lost the race. Hypothetically, as a developer of brewing software, why would I write a native app twice (iOS and Android) and have to update the UI every couple of years (so it's fresh) when I can write it once as a web app? As a user of brewing software, there appears to be 'safety in numbers', especially if I'm willing to pay for the product or for the service.

Last edited:
There’s a brewer’s friend app. It’s what I use. You can only link your account if you get a paid subscription though

Yes.

addition (about two hours after initially posting this comment): the 'app' I mentioned is a phone friendly web site. I'm of the opinion that 'race to the bottom' on native iOS pricing is over and I sense that for specialty apps, both app developers and app users lost the race. Hypothetically, as a developer of brewing software, why would I write a native app twice (iOS and Android) and have to update the UI every couple of years (so it's fresh) when I can write it once as a web app? As a user of brewing software, there appears to be 'safety in numbers', especially if I'm willing to pay for the product or for the service.

I totally feel ya on this.

I have to assume people have seen this article: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/comparing-homebrewing-software.html

It does not do a good job of pointing out which ones are iOS, but I used Brew Pal for many years ($1.99...so pretty much free). It does the basic calculations that I needed to formulate recipes. I have been using BeerSmith 3 Mobile for the past 6 months (my iPod died a while back).

I just recently got back into homebrewing. I’m sure this has been asked but what is everyone’s favorite iPhone compatible homebrewing app?
i dont use apps like most people do but I do use the Brewing Calculator to find a few values. nothing special ,mostly just entering numbers for conversions .

As @CascadesBrewer mentioned, I’m assuming you’ve seen the comparison article.

I’d been using BeerSmith 2 on computer for a while. The replies in the previously mentioned article made me look at and try Brewfather. I’m through about three batches now and, even though I’d just purchased the BeerSmith 3 app, I keep finding myself using Brewfather over BS 2 or 3. The UI is far superior, and the sync over desktop to my phone is excellent. @BrewnWKopperKat Already mentioned the site, but I figured out Safari has the ability to “add to home screen” so it looks and feels like running an app, if that’s important to you (See image below of home screen).

I’m doing another batch soon and will do my own comparison between Brewfather and BeerSmith for the accuracy of what it’s predicting. Currently have the same recipe/equipment profile set in both and I am getting significantly different results for numbers (OG, FG, IBU, SRM.) despite looking through everything I can to be sure it’s the same. Wondering if anyone else has had/solved this issue?

Attachments

• 412BB10B-35C1-4B8E-8301-B5C1CB99D198.jpeg
    412BB10B-35C1-4B8E-8301-B5C1CB99D198.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 115
As @CascadesBrewer mentioned, I’m assuming you’ve seen the comparison article.

I’d been using BeerSmith 2 on computer for a while. The replies in the previously mentioned article made me look at and try Brewfather. I’m through about three batches now and, even though I’d just purchased the BeerSmith 3 app, I keep finding myself using Brewfather over BS 2 or 3. The UI is far superior, and the sync over desktop to my phone is excellent. @BrewnWKopperKat Already mentioned the site, but I figured out Safari has the ability to “add to home screen” so it looks and feels like running an app, if that’s important to you (See image below of home screen).

I’m doing another batch soon and will do my own comparison between Brewfather and BeerSmith for the accuracy of what it’s predicting. Currently have the same recipe/equipment profile set in both and I am getting significantly different results for numbers (OG, FG, IBU, SRM.) despite looking through everything I can to be sure it’s the same. Wondering if anyone else has had/solved this issue?

Hi, that sounds unusual, these match very closely when set up correctly, would you mind sending me more info on this on PM? BeerXML, screenshots, recipe share url from Brewfather would be nice.

Hi, that sounds unusual, these match very closely when set up correctly, would you mind sending me more info on this on PM? BeerXML, screenshots, recipe share url from Brewfather would be nice.

I’m sure I have something buried in BeerSmith that’s off. Equipment profile? I’m by no means an expert in either program. I’ll send screenshots /BeerXML and maybe you can point out my issue/error.

I’m sure I have something buried in BeerSmith that’s off. Equipment profile? I’m by no means an expert in either program. I’ll send screenshots /BeerXML and maybe you can point out my issue/error.

I found I prefer Brewfather over BeerSmith. The interface is much more organized and thought out, and after using both for some time they’re both very accurate.

I will say Brewfathers water calculator is much more accurate and easier to use than BeerSmiths as well as.

I also prefer all my recipes in the cloud. After upgrading my phone I lost all my recipes in BeerSmith that weren’t in the “cloud” folder, as well as all my ingredients and profiles. Brewfather stores 100% in the cloud.

Back