Best General Knowledge Brewing Book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazySumo

Reaction score
What's the current state of the art here? TCJOH is still in print but what is out there that is fresher and more uptodate? Or is that still considered the holy bible? Looking for a good general knowledge brewing book with plenty of practice, science, etc.

Thanks!

Oh, and... :ban:

I think it depends on your skill level and how you are brewing. As an intermediate all-grain brewer, I am really enjoying "Brewing Better Beer" by Gordon Strong right now. I think "Yeast" by White & Zainasheff is good, too. Both are quite contemporary.

Brewing Crafts by Mike Rodgers-Wilson has been my bible while starting off. Although I think it might be a bit too Aussie focused. Still might be a good resource for you though.

How to Brew by John Palmer is the standard all-around recommendation. It's quite approachable, but every time I go back to it I'm amazed at how much depth is in there. After that, Yeast by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff, and For the Love of Hops by Stan Heironymous provide more depth on those ingredients. Looking forward to the release of Palmer's book on water this year. If you want recipes, Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer is quite good.

Back