Best calculator to determine FG from refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got a refractometer that measures in both Brix and OG Wort.

On brew day I measured OG with the hydrometer as 1.080 and the refractometer read 1.073 (I can't remember what brix reading that is equivalent to, but I can have a look if necessary). Refractometer was reading 1.00 w/ tap water.

Which calculator should I use to calculate the FG (and ABV) of the beer from a refractometer sample?

Not sure if you have any type of android device but I use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brewzor.calculator&hl=en

It's been really great. What you can do in the app is calibrate it to your setup. When you go into Refractometer, select "Calibrate" from the drop down menu. Then after you measure your wort with your hydrometer, plug that value in the Hydrometer field then do the same after you measure with your refractometer. Tap the "Save correction factor to preferences" and you're all set.

I found that once I calibrated the Brewzor app with those settings, I was getting readings with my digital refrigerator spot on with my Hydrometer readings over using the "generic" correction factor values found online or other calculators. If you don't calibrate the Brewzor app, it will just use that generic correction factor and the measurements will still be close but not as accurate.

It also saves that correction factor for future use as well so you can keep using it to measure your beer throughout fermentation. Just make sure you select "Unfermented wort" to measure your just transferred wort from the BK and the "Fermenting wort" when you measure the gravity after fermentation has started.

Back