Best Beers to Brew for Nitro Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chisena

Reaction score
Just got a nitro setup and although I will eventually do stouts, I was thinking about an ESB as my first beer on that tap. I have read that any malt-forward beers fair better than hop-forward beers however, many breweries are dabbling with all sorts of beers on nitro these days. What are your favorite beers on nitro and experience putting your home brews on nitro?

I like the idea of an Irish red. If I already have a beer carbed up on CO2, can I switch it over to nitro?

I like the idea of an Irish red. If I already have a beer carbed up on CO2, can I switch it over to nitro?

Not really. If it's in the suggested 2.1-2.6 range for the style, dispensing through a restrictor plate at 30-something psi is going to result in one epic beer soda.
Tasty, but frustrating to have two ounces of beer filling a pint glass ;)

You'd definitely need to de-carb it first...

Cheers!

This is very interesting for me. I am thinking of getting a nitro tap.
Do find it changes the taste of the beer ? or is it just more mouth feel ?

Oh for the original question, I have only ever had Guinness on nitro so I don't know about other beers, but do feel like trying a red now.

Thanks,
Cam

This is very interesting for me. I am thinking of getting a nitro tap.
Do find it changes the taste of the beer ? or is it just more mouth feel ?

Oh for the original question, I have only ever had Guinness on nitro so I don't know about other beers, but do feel like trying a red now.

Thanks,
Cam

Definitely changes the taste. I see Old Rasputin RIS on nitro all the time, it's one of my favorite stouts in the bottle but on nitro it's so muted and boring. Common here is IPAs on nitro too and blegh cant stand it. Takes away a lot of the pungency and then it's also not refreshing anymore. But I've got picky tastes I guess, dry irish stouts are about all I like on nitro.

Agreed that IPAs, at least the few I have tried, on nitro are boring. I really enjoyed Left Hand Sawtooth on nitro though, which is an ESB and a little on the hoppy side.

I love IPAs on nitro. Tasting Victory Hop Devil at the brewery on nitro inspired me to run home and add a nitro rig to my keezer. I run a lot of stouts, milds, and ESBs on it though too and have had a few other styles on my nitro tap. I didn't dislike any I've tried.

As far as recipe building, anyone have ideas around what malts should be used? Now I am dispensing the Northern Brewer Chocolate Milk Stout through a nitro tap and the head is way tou stiff and hard. Not creamy at all like a Guinness.

Chris

When/If I get a nitro tap, I'll be putting my black IPA on it.

Back