Best beer line cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I had a spiced cider on tap that had cinnamon in it. I did a quick flush with star San before tapping another beer. The new beer tastes like cinnamon and apple. I swapped taps and it's definitely in the lines. It is a pain in the butt to clean beer lines so I'm curious what people recommend. I usually use OxiClean and hot water then follow up that with a star san flush. I do not want to have to change out these lines it is not easy and they were very expensive beer lines.

Starsan is not a cleaner...

Hot PBW or Oxiclean. Recirc. 5 mins, let sit 5 mins. Repeat for an hour. Reheat/keep hot while recirculating.
I also add a little Lye to that for some extra umph.

It may stay in that line overnight, then flush out and start again with a fresh solution. Some flavors/aromas are hard to kill.

I alternate between kegworks powerpunch and BLC. PP is a bit "safer" it would seem, and I do prefer it, but no trouble using either. I use these for other purposes also (getting the junk out of carboys, a quick clean of the brew equipment after a brewday when I'm too lazy to heat up PBW) , so probably go through them faster than most.

I have used BLC in the past, and now have a double concentration version made by the same company called 'penetrate'. If it isn't too much more, I would recommend that.

The one that I would like to try by the same company is called DAC, dual alkaline cleaner, and it adds a stronger caustic to aid in cleaning. Do some research to find what will work best for you. The stronger the chemical, the more you need to pay attention to safety, especially if you heat the solution (I heat and recirculate, so I have to be very careful).

Back