Best Beer Book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey all, was looking around for some books on brewing kinda torn between a few. Was wondering what you all thought were great reads, informative and really improved you beer the most.....thanks in advance

How to brew, John j. Palmer
For the price it has the most knowledge
I also liked Extreme brewing, Sam calagione it was a fun read with lots of recipes from Avery, Russian river and dogfishead

Yea I read extreme brewing, I really like it but I think I may be biased I love dogfish and think Sam is great, loved the show.

Was looking at brewing better beer

"How to Brew" of course. I'm in the process of "Brew like a Monk" by Hieronymus. It's an awesome read so far!

Then get "how to brew" I keep going back to that book and referencing it I've used it from extract to all grain it's very technical lots of charts

Just started "The Naked Pint" by Perozzi and Beaune. Interesting read so far; it's kinda of an all around beer history, style and drinking book with a big chapter on homebrewing.

Reads like a textbook, but I really like "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. Will really help you take it to the next level if you develop your own recipes.

Brewing better beer by Gordon Strong is a great book, I would also suggest How to Brew by John Palmer.

First choice process book: How to Brew
First choice recipe book: Brewing Classic Styles
First choice on formulating my own recipes: Designing Great Beers
Two in my amazon wish list: Radical Brewing and Yeast

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for and how much experience/knowledge you have under you belt. I like Designing Great Beers for were I am at know with learning my own recipes. I'm starting to get more and more into yeast so eventually I wan't to get Yeast because I don't really know much about it.
Just pick something you don't know a lot about

The Brewers Apprentice by Greg Koch is a great read, while not a very technical book nor a how-to, its still a great source of good information.

+1 on Palmer. He's got a good level of technical detail without going over the top. I've not read them all, but if I only had one book this is probably the one.

A book *not* to buy, but my local homebrew store continues to push, is _The Brewmaster's Bible_ by Stephen Snyder. The information is out of date, the recipes are poorly edited (or incorrect!) and provide for some mediocre to worse beers, and the explanation of techniques is poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back