Bentonite in 1gal mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSAYank

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I'm going to bottle my first mead and wanted to use bentonite as a fining agent. I've brewed beer for the last couple of years and never used fining agents so it's new to me. My question is, the package says use 4tsp in 1 1/3 cup of water, sufficient for 5 gallons. Should I just divide that by 5 and use that in my one gallon? Seems like this simple answer, but wanted to check with more experienced people. Thanks in advance!

That is correct for most thing. Just divide by 5. But for simplicity sake I would just to 1tsp in 1/3cup hot water.

But make sure to get that water to boiling and I use a blender or such to mix the bentonite and water. Spoon or fork never seems to cut it. And mix it for a good 2min or so. Hot and super well blended and bentonite works great. You can almost watch the stuff clear right in front of you.

Thanks. I'd just like to use as little water as possible as to dilute the soulution as little as possible. I also don't have a nother carboy to rack to as my other 1gal carboy is full if a blueberry honey mead.

Should I just dump it in when it's mixed up? I read an article that said to let it sit for a day. In everyone's experience, is that necessary?

Back