Belma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm noticing that the IPAs I dry hopped with Belma don't seem to have as good a shelf-life as other IPAs. They taste fine but the hop aroma decays pretty quickly. I like them a lot when they are fresh, after a couple of months, not so much.

chiteface said:
I only did one, but I really felt like it got better with age.

In noticing in my Belma/Motueka pale ale that the Belma is only just starting to really rear it's head up and show it self prominently. It was bottled 5/04/13.

It's really starting to shift from strawberry to Mellon now.

Just kegged another Belma test. This time I only bittered with them. I used US-05, wich is my standard yeast. They definitely leave a fruity Off flavor in the beer. This one isn't terrible by any stretch, but it's definitely got a fruity twang that shouldn't be there. Fermentation was controlled quite well at 65 degrees, so the only other flavor I would imagine this coming from would be the yeast. But, in the two beers I've done Belma with, it's had this exact same flavor and they were the only beers I've had this flavor. Kind of fruity, might be banana/strawberry. For reference, this was fermented alongside an IPA I did and both were tasted at final gravity (before the dry hop on the IPA) and the IPA did not have this flavor at all, but was fermented with US-05 as well. I've come to the conclusion that this was $5 and lesson learned. No more Belma for me. Although they might be good in a darker ale, where you might be looking for a little of that fruity flavor. Doubt I'll use it again though.

I made a second Belma Pale Ale (added belma with the normal hop additions in a Cascade PA) I am still not impressed. Unless I can find another pound for $5 I really do not see it as a hop that I want to keep around for normal hop prices. It does seem to have a head retention enhancing effect though.

The Belma pale I made turned out alright. There is an indistinct fruity note and I do notice a subtle creamy or slick texture. The biggest disappointment is the lack of aroma. I did 30 min hop stands at 160 and 140 and dry hopped with 2oz and there's not even a slight trace of hop aroma in that beer! I'll use it alongside other hops for bittering additions I guess, but probably won't buy it again.

I used Belma in an American IPA today. Works great for bittering and mid-boil. I also used some leaf in my hop rocket mainly to filter out all the Citra and Amarillo pellets and cold break. Maybe they will sell it for $5 again. If they do, I will definitely get a couple pounds.

I also have been experimenting with this hop for awhile. It can be tricky. But this helped me: (from hops direct website)

Remarks regarding the chemical-analytical characterization of the volatile hop oil-constituents:
Floral fraction:

- The floral fraction consists mainly of β-myrcene. This compound covers about 88% of the floral fraction, and 66% of the total amount of hop oil compounds determined.

- Cv. Belma is relatively rich in esters (mainly 2-methylbutyl 2-methylpropanoate), which means that Belma has a fruity aroma.Potential markers in view of varietal discrimination between hop varieties:

- β-farnesene:

This compound can be considered as a good marker for hop varieties which are genetically related to cv. Saaz – together with the appearance of bergamotene. However, these compounds have a rather small sensorial impact. Farnesene and bergamotene were not detected in cv. Belma.

- α- en β-selinene:

Selinenes can also be used to group hop varieties; cv. Belma is relatively rich in these compounds.

--------------------------------------------------------
This for me is a fruity noble hop. Does not work well in IPA. I have found a place for it bittering wheat beers. I will try it in abbey styles maybe saison.

There is a mention of Belma in the new BYO

A commercial brewer is making a saison with it. Dogfishead is using the as well.

I did a single hop saison with purely Belma and had great results. I really enjoy its natural fruity notes paired with a barley malt backbone but I could see how this would also pair well in most wheat styles. Here was my recipe:

Saison De La Maison Wong
3Gal BIAB
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.007
Efficiency: 75%

7.5lbs 2-row
6ozs C20
6ozs Cara-Pils
4ozs C80

.3ozs Belma 60mins
.2ozs Belma 30mins
.2ozs Belma 10mins
.15ozs Belma 5mins

.5tsp Coriander Seed 15mins
.45ozs Biter Orange Peel 15mins
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Whirlfloc Tablet

White Labs 0566 Belgian Saison II

Mash at 148F for 90minutes, mash out for 10minutes at 170minutes.

I have tried it several times and determined I do not like the fruity flavor it imparts. It seems to taste more like a old/bruised fruit flavor. I do not think I am going to use it anymore.

I have tried it several times and determined I do not like the fruity flavor it imparts. It seems to taste more like a old/bruised fruit flavor. I do not think I am going to use it anymore.

I'd say this is a very controversial hop! Severely style- and combo-dependent. I've had awesome luck with it in saisons (Belma/Strisselspalt is amazing!) and a cream ale. I've got it going in an IPA with Bravo and Mosaic. We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

eulipion2 said:
I'd say this is a very controversial hop! Severely style- and combo-dependent. I've had awesome luck with it in saisons (Belma/Strisselspalt is amazing!) and a cream ale. I've got it going in an IPA with Bravo and Mosaic. We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Depending on how you used it. I would toss it out there that it will be lost completely with the bravo and especially the mosaic. Mosaic is too powerful to let the belma through.

Depending on how you used it. I would toss it out there that it will be lost completely with the bravo and especially the mosaic. Mosaic is too powerful to let the belma through.

The Bravo was only for bittering. Mosaic and Belma were flavor and aroma. I'm shooting for a Mosaic-centric beer, but I'm hoping the Belma will round it out a bit. Never used Mosaic before, but Belma and I are bff's. :rockin:

The Bravo was only for bittering. Mosaic and Belma were flavor and aroma. I'm shooting for a Mosaic-centric beer, but I'm hoping the Belma will round it out a bit. Never used Mosaic before, but Belma and I are bff's. :rockin:

Well, having used both.. Belma will be no where to be found, honestly if you used Mosaic and Belma together late in the boil.

Mosaic will overpower Belma 3X's over. Belma, as you know, is subtle. Lends a fruity note, but nothing is as fruity as sweet as Mosaic. It's as powerful as Citra, and will toss a fruity berry, dank earthy note that will be nothing but mosaic in the boil. If I use Belma's it can't go up against anything more than a low earthy hop, or something noble to give a rounded fruit character. Anything "american hop" or any of the "C hops" and belma gets pushed so far back you can't even pick it out. It's impossible.

Well, having used both.. Belma will be no where to be found, honestly if you used Mosaic and Belma together late in the boil.

Mosaic will overpower Belma 3X's over. Belma, as you know, is subtle. Lends a fruity note, but nothing is as fruity as sweet as Mosaic. It's as powerful as Citra, and will toss a fruity berry, dank earthy note that will be nothing but mosaic in the boil. If I use Belma's it can't go up against anything more than a low earthy hop, or something noble to give a rounded fruit character. Anything "american hop" or any of the "C hops" and belma gets pushed so far back you can't even pick it out. It's impossible.
Eh, that's okay. As my sig suggests, it's a clean-out-the-freezer deal. Even if it only gives a little mouthfeel (it should, based on my experience so far), that's fine by me. If I get nothing out of it, that's cool too, as long as the beer's good. Had to make room for the 2013 harvest.

eulipion2 said:
Eh, that's okay. As my sig suggests, it's a clean-out-the-freezer deal. Even if it only gives a little mouthfeel (it should, based on my experience so far), that's fine by me. If I get nothing out of it, that's cool too, as long as the beer's good. Had to make room for the 2013 harvest.

You'll get the creamy mouthfeel for sure. Not much else I imagine unless you went overboard on belma and a pinch of mosaic.

Let us know how it comes out.

These hops are back in stock and shipping! I've been waiting to get a hold of some of these since they ran out 6 months ago it seems. Price is up a bit at $7.85 per # for pellets and $7.00 for leaf. Still seems worth it.

You've got a heavy malt bomb on your hands there!! MOPA, crystal & biscuit wowzerz!! You should go overboard with hopping to battle your malts & try to balance things. I would recommend multiple hop additions toward the end (<15 min) & big dry hopping. With this grain bill I don't think its worth even attempting "hoppy". Go another direction & try belma again:
8 lbs pilsner
1 lb honey malt
1 oz belma @60 min
2 oz belma @15 min
4 oz belma @0 min
*this will help put belma on the hop stage & shine through with slightly sweet malt bill but still balanced.

Just my $.02
Sounds like it is made for Saisons, which happens to be a-ok with this brewer. I just won a pound from HD, along with a shirt, hat and some Belma scented soap. I bet my wife will like the soap! Later, dudes.

FWIW 1 of my american pale ales that was heavy on the Belma won 3rd place in comp. It was a small comp but was bjcp approved & had ~20 entries in that category. It can make OK brew. And maybe nice soap too lol.

I'm not sure what you would call this recipe. It's not quite a Black IPA - not quite a Baltic Porter. Can a Cascadian Dark be 62% wheat? I call it my Belmic Porter. I served it at my homebrew club yesterday and only one person had anything negative to say - he didn't think the Belma was right for the recipe. Most people seem to think he is wrong ;-P

Mash at 154F
6.5 lbs malted wheat
5.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb chocolate wheat
.5 lb cara-wheat

All hops added AFTER flame-out and whirlpooled at 191F for 20 minutes. BeerSmith 2 estimates it at 60 IBU's.
1 ounce Centennial
1 ounce Cascade
3 ounces Belma

US-05 yeast

2 ounces Belma as dry hop

Has anyone tried Belma in a blonde ale or something light bodied? I apologize but sifting 59 pages is too much for me. Im interested but seeing most negative responses are from ipa's. I know galena isnt a good hop for flavor but did it anyways and I didnt think it was terribly bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Has anyone tried Belma in a blonde ale or something light bodied? I apologize but sifting 59 pages is too much for me. Im interested but seeing most negative responses are from ipa's. I know galena isnt a good hop for flavor but did it anyways and I didnt think it was terribly bad.

I used it in a session saison with Strisselspalt. Turned out awesome!

I used Belma exclusively in a cream ale that came out very good.

Made the purchase today. Now to build a couple recipes. $12 for shipping made me a bit bitter but I see it still being cheaper than going to lhbc and getting a lb. of any other hop.

$12 for shipping made me a bit bitter [...]

Agreed. There must be cheaper ways to ship a single pound of hops. Or maybe that's the point: people see that shipping doesn't increase very much with the addition of a second (or third) pound, so they see greater value in ordering more. Brilliant!

Made the purchase today. Now to build a couple recipes. $12 for shipping made me a bit bitter but I see it still being cheaper than going to lhbc and getting a lb. of any other hop.

When I bought mine, I sent an email out to the club and put together a 16 pound order. It made shipping much more reasonable.

When I bought mine, I sent an email out to the club and put together a 16 pound order. It made shipping much more reasonable.

That would be great but I'm a lone wolf.

Agreed. There must be cheaper ways to ship a single pound of hops. Or maybe that's the point: people see that shipping doesn't increase very much with the addition of a second (or third) pound, so they see greater value in ordering more. Brilliant!

When I bought them, it was a flat rate, so a few buddies Putin and we got 12 pounds shipped for $10

That's just the shipping. And in the right recipe, Belma is mighty tasty.

Lol. I was just gonna post that same thing, then scrolled down.
It ended up being 80 cents an oz all totaled out. Granted there were diff hops at diff prices, but still pretty good averaged out

And that was last week. Hopsdirect.com good prices and they grow a lot of them.

Back