American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joety said:
I see Bell's lawyers made Northern Brewer change the name of their clone. Wouldn't be surprised if they start filtering the yeast.

Right its called dead on, just finished brewing it about an hour ago,can't wait to see how it turns out.did not buy the kit but went to my local home brew store and got everything needed to make it, I must say nb would have been much cheaper

Just bottled my clone. I followed DubbelDach's variation (above) using Death Brewer's Stove-Top All-Grain process. I'll follow up in about a month. :mug:

As I am still away on business I asked SWMBO to transfer my bottles from the secondary fermentation closet into the fridge. They should be in there about a week by the time I get back home on Friday. I will be immediately cracking one open upon arrival (well...immediately after I properly thank SWMBO for her assistance :ban:).

As I am still away on business I asked SWMBO to transfer my bottles from the secondary fermentation closet into the fridge. They should be in there about a week by the time I get back home on Friday. I will be immediately cracking one open upon arrival (well...immediately after I properly thank SWMBO for her assistance :ban:).

Got back Friday night and broke into them. Fantastic results! I will be heading to BMW later next week to pick up ingredients for another batch. These things are flying out of the fridge. It seems my wife's friends were sampling the results before I got back. Apparently every one is happy!
DSC_00873.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

I brewed this up 6 days ago using PacMan yeast and took a hydro sample today to see where it is at...wow!

I am at 1.015 now and it is so crisp and citrusy that I can hardly believe it. I followed the original recipe pretty exact, the only difference was I bumped up the 2-row to 11 pounds and the crystal up to .75 (also the PacMan yeast).

I plan to let this sit in the primary for another 4-7 days and then secondary for a week with a full ounce of Centennial.

Thanks for the awesome recipe Eschatz, this will be a staple in my brew lineup from here on out:rockin:

Has anyone done this with Northern Brewer's clone kit?

MASH INGREDIENTS
- 11 lbs. Rahr 2-Row
- 1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)

DRY HOPS
1 oz. Centennial

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

YEAST
WYEAST #1056 AMERICAN ALE YEAST.
Optimum temperature: 60-72°F

Wondering if there is much difference in color/flavor/aroma...I'll probably buy this kit later in the year when my fermentation can be cooler.

I decided to give a two hearted inspired ale a go for my Father's day brew. I am making a 12 gallon batch at %80 efficiency. I did email the bells brewery and they stated that WLP001 is a perfect substitute for their strain. I have used their strain and I must admit, it is like a non flocullant WLP001.

Here is my recipe

20 pound german pale ale malt
4 pounds vienna
1 pound crystal malt (C40)
OG = 1.062
FG = 1.009
WLP001 4 liter starter
Mash temp = 150
Overnight Mash

1 oz columbus at 60
2 oz centennial at 20
4 oz centennial at 5
2 oz centennial dry hop

i am simply using columbus to bitter for the higher AA%. I think all the finishing centennial is where the magic happens.

I'll be brewing this over the weekend as well while on my annual fishing trip that I do with SWMBO's brother & father. I don't get to see her father often and I have been wanting to have him over for a brew for a while since he gave me a lot of gear that he used when he extract brewed about 30 years ago. I think this will be the first time he will see an AG brew too. I think that once the brew is done boiling and chilled that I'll do the 20 minute trip home to put it in the basement and pitch my yeast there. I doubt I'd be able to keep it cool enough for 3 days since it'll be in the 90s each day.

I'm going to make this again, and am wondering about the yeast. I can't get Bell's any way shape or form in Northern Nevada, so I was thinking about 1272, which a couple of people recommended.

1272 (according to Wyeast's web site) can be manipulated by temperature:

Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character.

Never having had Two Hearted, what is the flavor like? I usually like "clean" and used US-05 last time with this beer, but what does everyone else think?

Rich

I fell in love with two hearted during my trip to the east coast and brought some back. Saw this recipe and went for it. I even built up a large (almost 2L) starter from bottle dregs as suggested. Has massive fermentation with this yeast, filling up the starsan blow-off container etc. Unbelievably though, this beer finished high, like 1.028! I can't figure it out, I used op recipe, hit 150 mash temp, pitched plenty of yeast, started fermentation at 68 and let things slowly warm to 72 at 2weeks. I also roused the yeast a few times after 1 week. At 2.5 weeks in primary the beer had cleared remarkably. I've had it kegged and carbed for a little over a week now. The beer tastes wonderful, color is spot on, need more hops flavor to compete with Bells (I used 1oz dry hopped in keg). It could just be that since it did not dry out completely the bitterness is not balanced with the malty-ness. It however does not taste "sweet" by any means. I can't figure out why it didn't finishish any lower than this, but it could just be the unpredictability with using bottle harvested yeast. I washed the yeast cake and I will try it again before I give up on this yeast. It seemed really promising and I was hoping to keep it for a while as a "house" yeast. Anyone else have attenuation issues with their bottle harvested yeast?

I'm going to make this again, and am wondering about the yeast. I can't get Bell's any way shape or form in Northern Nevada, so I was thinking about 1272, which a couple of people recommended.

Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character.

Never having had Two Hearted, what is the flavor like? I usually like "clean" and used US-05 last time with this beer, but what does everyone else think?

Rich

Well I think of it as more floral than super citrusy like a west coat IPA. It is fairly clean but I don't think of it as neutral. It has plenty of character. I dont have any experience with that yeast, but if I were you using this yeast I would let temps go into the slightly warmer end of the yeasts range. Especially since several clues point to warmer ferment temps by Bell's for this (if you're even trying to replicate THA) Plus accentuating the character of those wonderful centennial hops cant be a bad thing! If you've already gone really clean with US-05, make a batch with a bit more flavor. I doubt you'll like it any less, and I bet you'll like it more.

Rich

I'm too lazy to find the link but the brewmaster from Bell's recommends 1272 if you can't bottle harvest. Two Hearted is not clean at all, it's got some yeast derived fruity esters along with more centennial than you can shake a stick at. When I make it I use 1272 and ferment at 74.

Okay, I am kinda blown away....

I brewed this up on 7-30-11 and my OG was 1.060. Today is 8-3 and already my gravity is at 1.010!! This is a first for me! I used Nottingham and fermented at 68F. 6.6 ABV. Initially, I thought maybe some wild yeast got in there somehow but I just tasted it and it is great.

Thoughts??

MichaelsBrewing said:
Okay, I am kinda blown away....

I brewed this up on 7-30-11 and my OG was 1.060. Today is 8-3 and already my gravity is at 1.010!! This is a first for me! I used Nottingham and fermented at 68F. 6.6 ABV. Initially, I thought maybe some wild yeast got in there somehow but I just tasted it and it is great.

Thoughts??

I heard initial fermentation finishes quick but the clean up after themselves for a couple weeks. I'm patient with my brews.

I heard initial fermentation finishes quick but the clean up after themselves for a couple weeks. I'm patient with my brews.

Thanks for the response. I do not plan on touching this baby for two or three more weeks then I will dry hop for five days in secondary. I just had to share this beacause it is a first for me. Nottingham is a MAD MAN! :rockin:

I brewed this today, it was my second all grain brew and dude, I nailed it! My pre-boil was a tad lower 1.052 but my after boil OG was 1.064!

I had to add some additional hops to match the IBUs but I ended up at 54ish (whole hops) 1.25 at 60 and 1.25 at 15.

I tasted it before I added the Notty and it made me horny. This is gonna be some damn good beer! :ban:

Thanks for the recipe!

I have an interesting anecdote to offer on this beer. The first time I brewed it being my 3rd batch and first PM, I went high on the mash temp leaving my FG a bit high as well. The beer came out amazing, so great in fact that earlier this summer I decided to do my first repeat brew.

This time I had my cooler mash tun and refined technique, hit the mash temp dead on. When done correctly this beer comes out super dry. The delicious centennial flavor is still in there, but I feel like the bitterness is a little overpowering when paired with a such a dry beer.

I may do this recipe again and intentionally mash a little higher.

I made the opposite mistake and mashed a little low, after forgetting to preheat the mashtun. I thought it made for a super beer for the summer, that was lighter, hoppy and crisp. The next batch was going to be at the original recipe for comparison.

I did a split batch, one with S-04 and the other with Harvested Bell's Yeast. The S04's Krausen has already dropped out after 4 days, and the Bell's has a thick, nasty looking Krausen. Has anyone else noticed this with the Bell's yeast?

Makes me wonder if it's not a Kolsch yeast? That would explain the fruityness, and the nasty krausen.

I ended up making this on my fishing trip a few weeks ago and was unhappy with my OG, it was close to 1.040. I think my issue was with my sparge water temperature being too low.

After 8 days, I racked it to secondary and decided to try this again and use the yeast cake from the first batch. The brew went swimmingly - I adjusted my sparge temperature, I hit 1.065 for my OG, and the fermentation took off like mad within hours. I'm excited to have both of these on tap and to see how they differ besides just in ABV.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but I'll say it right here...

This recipe has the best grain bill of any IPA I've ever made! It doesn't matter which American "C" hops you use, this IPA turns out awesome. I'm sipping a Simcoe version right now, and I have another Centennial version in the bucket.

I agree. I didn't think any IPA would beat my DFH 60min clone that I have made many many times now. I have to say I like the base of this beer better after just brewing it once. I believe next time I'm gonna experiment and do this grain bill with the hop bill for 60minute, which is Warrior, Simcoe, and Amarillo. My mouth is watering thinking about it!

Eschatz,

I am a believer! lol

When I was an extract brewer you came through with an amazing Requiem Raspberry and now this amazing recipe. I kegged this one up on Monday and now with a little carbonation I am addicted to this brew! This is a great clone and my hat is off to you sir! =)

Cheers

Brewed this today. Finished a little low on the wort which caused my OG reading to be 1.070. She will be a little strong. :) I can't wait!!!

I used my last 4 oz of centennial on this boil. I will dry hop with 3oz of something. I am not sure if I will do another 'c' hop or hopefully a bunch of the 2011 crop will be out and I can do my 2011 bulk hop buy.

This is a GREAT beer! Thanks for the recipe.

A friend of mine claims Bell's Two-Hearted as his favorite beer and he preferred mine over the original, so I feel pretty good about this one.

I will definitely make this beer again.

:mug:

July/August 2011 Page 22
10 lbs Briess 2-row
2.83 Briess Pale malt
8oz of Briess Caramal 40L which I think it is a misprint Use 10L
1.2 Centtennial 45 mins.
1.2 "" 30 mins
3.5 dry hop in week
Boil Vigorous 75 mins.
Us 4.5 gals with 4 grams of Gypsum ,and run water thought carbon filter
Mash at 150 for 45 mins, ramp to 170 hold for 15 mins Sparge using 175
collect 6.6 gals for boil kettke for 5gal batch

Yeast wpl 001 or Calf Ale V
Check out the Mag
I have made 7 or 8 , maybe 10 batches
The biggest thing i found was do a water profile for the style using BS2
This made the biggest differance
and a Starter of course , I use SO-4 just because I like the way it works
choose your weapon ......
I use BEER CAPTURED ref to make a water profile for my beer that I am going to brew using RO or DI then let BS2 work it over and Add my salts and go for it
Thanks John

did a split batch, one with S-04 and the other with Harvested Bell's Yeast. The S04's Krausen has already dropped out after 4 days, and the Bell's has a thick, nasty looking Krausen. Has anyone else noticed this with the Bell's yeast?

I have had the very same thing ,,,,I thought the first time I seen that Nasty looking Krausen ,it was going to do sewer water , but I hold on to it and really it turn out to be a better beer that I use doing the SO-4 funny things happen but I really like the color And I used 40L like the book said and really 10 L is the Number
WAS it Big nasty bubbles and kinda little slimmy and 2 inches thick ?
Weard dam thing I had ever seen ,,,I kept it ,later COLD crashed it ,kegged it , and drank the **** out of it .....Kinda freaked me out at first , I guess this is where Paticent comes thought. When I cold crash it it was gone the next day ,,, and went straight down to the bottom and turn to trub or dead yeast cake

Just tried this beer this weekend and LOVE IT!
I couldn't figure out the aroma hops used, though.
Glad to see a recipe on my favorite forum :)

did a split batch, one with S-04 and the other with Harvested Bell's Yeast. The S04's Krausen has already dropped out after 4 days, and the Bell's has a thick, nasty looking Krausen. Has anyone else noticed this with the Bell's yeast?

I have had the very same thing ,,,,I thought the first time I seen that Nasty looking Krausen ,it was going to do sewer water , but I hold on to it and really it turn out to be a better beer that I use doing the SO-4 funny things happen but I really like the color And I used 40L like the book said and really 10 L is the Number
WAS it Big nasty bubbles and kinda little slimmy and 2 inches thick ?
Weard dam thing I had ever seen ,,,I kept it ,later COLD crashed it ,kegged it , and drank the **** out of it .....Kinda freaked me out at first , I guess this is where Paticent comes thought. When I cold crash it it was gone the next day ,,, and went straight down to the bottom and turn to trub or dead yeast cake

My brain hurts

I finally tapped this, even though its way too early, I can taste the heat form the >7% but man does it taste good!

I used Notty and fermented at 60 and it has a very clean dry taste! Only thing I would change is I only dry hopped with 1 oz and I should have used more. It needs more aroma.

Thank you!!

Never had the original Bells, so I have no idea how close I came but this is damn good beer!

Going to make this again this weekend. I love the original recipe, but i have been experimenting with First Wort hopping. What do you think about changing the 60 min addition to FWH? how do you think it would compare?

FWH mellows out the bitter and adds more flavor. It's more akin to a 20 minute addition. I always FWH my IPA's, but I don't like mine overly bitter.

Back