Belgium Wit didnt turn out good, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeBrewAZ

Reaction score
Hey guys So I made a simple belgium Wit with Candi. I was hoping for a new tasty beer but ended up with a flavorless bitter drink.

Here's what I did 3.5#pils 3.5#wheat .25#aromatic .5#flaked wheat East 1oz kent golding and 1oz Saaz 1oz bitter orange peel 4tsp coriander 1lb Candi WL400 yesties
Mash 155 boil 60min OG 1.65 FG 1.10 ferment temp 70

Water RoDi added gypsum 3g calcium Carb 2g Magnesium 2g salt 4g Lactic acid 3ml

Any suggestion on making my bitter beer better? its in a corny keg and what could of gone wrong/should of done different

For starters, I would not add sugar to a wit. And I think I only use 1 ounce of bitter hops for the whole batch. Maybe drop the fermentation temp to 62-65 ambient max.

But it may just be too young yet. Every Wit I've brewed AG has tasted not good when I first try it, but then a 2 weeks later has changed a LOT. I am usually trying to drink it too young. I'm kegging BTW.

Not after kegging. From the looks of it 2 oz hops and the orange it's going to take some time to mellow out.

4 tsp coriander? And 1 ounce orange peel? Well, that's alot.

I'm curious about the water chemistry also- seems very weird to add calcium carbonate (which doesn't dissolve well), and lactic acid which would counteract each other, plus salt? Magnesium? gypsum?

I'm wondering if the water chemistry is playing a large part in this. Why those additions? That sounds really terrible, to be honest. If you wouldn't drink it, you shouldn't brew with it.

Whoa I didn't get past the hops and orange. If the water was RoDi which I'm guessing you meant reverse osmosis and distilled. Why did you make adjustments to the water ?

I goofed on the coriander 1/4tsp sorry. as for the 2oz hops they have an alpha rating of 4.3% which isnt that much I thought.
As for the water I use a reverse osmosis and deionized my end product is pure H20 no salts or TDS after that I pick a style of beer and add back the minerals that fit the style of beer im going to brew (why you ask? well I have Sh*t water that i would never drink, plus its fun I can brew with water from any city around the world) but I just had an idea oranges! maybe this brew needs some juice, if anyone has a good thought chime in

Dont worry about water additions until you get the rest figured out. Tap water may not be that bad, but next time, dilute it 50:50 with RODI and forget about additions. You may have the best water you could ask for.

Do you cook or bathe with Sh*t water doesn't sound too sanitary. What city water was you trying for Chernoybyl ?

Dont worry about water additions until you get the rest figured out. Tap water may not be that bad, but next time, dilute it 50:50 with RODI and forget about additions. You may have the best water you could ask for.

You can go all RO water with just a 1/2 teaspoon of CaCl2 and have far better water than what you brewed with. "matching" water profiles is really hard, and doesn't really give you the best water for your brew.

I think adding table salt, gysum, epsom salts, etc will give you a salty, minerally water profile that can only hurt the recipe. The extra sulfate will give you a harsh bitterness, and won't help flavor at all.

It's too late to fix the water now, but next time I"d suggest just using RO water and maybe a few grams of calcium chloride if you feel you have to add something.

Well this just gives me another reason to brew again, Ill give it a try. If anyone is wondering where I got these numbers for the addictions I used EZ Water Calculator Spreadsheet 2.0

Back