Belgian yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a 10gal batch tomorrow and I want to find some excellent White Labs Belgian strains. I'm for sure pitching the WLP Saison I into 5 gal. As for the other 5 gallons, I'd like to try out a couple of different strains. Although the types of yeast I choose should really just reflect the kind of Belgian I'd like to produce, I feel that not all yeasts are equally "good". Recently I made a brown ale, split it up and tried a couple of strains appropriate to the style. I found one brown to be incredible (WLP 002 English), while the other was very OK (WLP 023 Burton). I'd like to not make this mistake again- making 5 gallons of beer that I'm not really excited about.

Would people who've played around with these strains comment on your experiences: WLP 510 Bastogne, WLP 530 Abbey, WLP 550 Belgian, WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend. This will be my first Belgian ale, so I haven't tried any of the White Labs Belgian yeasts.

Thanks for your input.

Oh yea, heres the profile of the beer I'll be making

O.G. 1.071
IBU- 30 (Halltertaur at 60 min)

Malt Bill
12 lbs Pilsner
.75 lbs Malted wheat
.75 lbs Munich
.125 lbs Caramel 60L
.25 lbs Carapils

(this is basically Jamil's recipe for the Saison)

oooFishy said:
This will be my first Belgian ale, so I haven't tried any of the White Labs Belgian yeasts.
(this is basically Jamil's recipe for the Saison)

Its tough because that's a saison recipe, so I'd use a saison yeast. However, in Farmhouse Ales, they list wlp550 as a possible yeast for brewing a saison. It says "versatile, gen. purpose yeast. Spicy and fruity, 75-80F" So, of the possibilities, I'd go with this one. I haven't used it for a saison though. I've used 565 and 566. If you can get whitelabs saison blend, I'd try that one(it may have 550 in the mix). Good luck, saisons are great - one of my favorite styles. I'm brewing one now with yeast I cultured from Fantome. :D

From White Labs website:

http://whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
Saisons, Belgian Ales, Belgian Reds, Belgian Browns, and White beers are just a few of the classic Belgian beer styles that can be created with this yeast strain. Phenolic and spicy flavors dominate the profile, with less fruitiness then WLP500.
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast
Classic Saison yeast from Wallonia. It produces earthy, peppery, and spicy notes. Slightly sweet. With high gravity saisons, brewers may wish to dry the beer with an alternate yeast added after 75% fermentation.
Attenuation: 65-75%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN – July/August
Saison strain with more fruity ester production than with WLP565. Moderately phenolic, with a clove-like characteristic in finished beer flavor and aroma. Ferments faster than WLP565.
Attenuation: 78-85%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78 F

WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend
This blend melds Belgian style ale and saison strains. The strains work in harmony to create complex, fruity aromas and flavors. The blend of yeast strains encourages complete fermentation in a timely manner. Phenolic, spicy, earthy, and clove like flavors are also created.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 70-80°F

Unfortunately my LHBS only offers the Saison I (I really with they had II or the blend).

I know that the recipe is for Saisons, but it seems to be just a pretty generic Pilsner base malt recipe. What about the recipe do you think would be incompatible with a non-Saison, Belgian ale yeast? The 30 IBU's?

Also, have you (or anyone else) ever used the Wyeast French Saison yeast?

One more Saison question. I'm planning on ramping up the temp over the course of primary fermentation 1-2 F/day til I reach just shy of 90F. I was planning on letting the beer go vigorously for a day at 68F before starting to crank the temp. What do you think of this? Also, I assume that high temps aren't necessary for secondary fermentation. Is this correct?

Also, I've gotten into the habit of letting the primary go for 3 weeks, maybe even more for a 1.071 beer. Will the sustained high temps for 3 weeks cause anything negative like autolysis?

I should probably change the title of this post...

Thanks for you input!

Yea, I've read those description death. I just find that peoples first hand experiences are more valuable. It's not like white labs is going to post critical reviews of any of their strains.

I was really disappointed with the Burton yeast when I made Orfy Hobgoblin clone, which I felt tasted nothing like the white labs description of it. Unless I got some kind of infection, which I feel is unlikely, I can't see any other reason why it sucks.

well, i'd say if you want to stay to style with a saison, those are pretty much your only options for white labs. i've never made a saison, but i've made some great belgian ales with both the 550 and the 500.

If you're mashing low, for a saison, its going to finish very dry. Good for a saison, not so good for many other styles. But I agree, saisons are mostly about the yeast flavor profile. If you're going with Jamil's recipe, I might assume you've listened to the podcast. If so, you know that 565 can have trouble finihing low and drying the beer out enough(if not -there you go). So I might have another yeast going in a starter to finish the job, you can't just pitch dry yeast or a tube into fermenting beer and be sure it will work. I like your fermentation temperature schedule, and once your beer's done with primary fermentation I don't think it needs to be kept hot. I don't think autolysis will be a problem, I've never heard of people having issues with these yeasts when fermenting the way you mentioned.
I've been trying to get 3711 French Saison from my LHBS, but it looks like he can't get it. I'm going to order it from an online source, from the people I've talk to its AWESOME! Thus, I've been very frustrated with my LHBS:mad: .

Back