Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexy53

Reaction score
I am looking to make a Belgian Tripel, but have found limited extract recipes. The one I was considering going with has 9lbs of gold malt syrup and 1lbs Belgian candi sugar, but no actual malt extract. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for the attached recipe? I think I am going to utilize a very small amount of falconers flight hops in the boil with a base of Saaz and hallertau. I was also considering a yeast other than Trappist High Gravity, but it seems to be a highly recommended strain. Thoughts?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...Tripel-1532550454507.pdf?12144156160182797833

I am looking to make a Belgian Tripel, but have found limited extract recipes. The one I was considering going with has 9lbs of gold malt syrup and 1lbs Belgian candi sugar, but no actual malt extract. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for the attached recipe? I think I am going to utilize a very small amount of falconers flight hops in the boil with a base of Saaz and hallertau. I was also considering a yeast other than Trappist High Gravity, but it seems to be a highly recommended strain. Thoughts?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...Tripel-1532550454507.pdf?12144156160182797833
Gold malt syrup is extract. Liquid malt extract will give you a darker color than dry malt extract. I'd use pilsner dry malt extract to brew a trippel.

Thanks! I assumed t was but wanted to verify. The recipe is from Ballast Point so i was going to trust it lol

Second the use of Pilsner extract.
I don't find caramel malt (cara 8) appropriate for a tripel. Wouldn't waste the dime on candi, cane sugar has worked for me. The style depends a lot on the yeast so choose wisely.

What they said about the dried pilsner extract ^^^^^. You'll end up paying a little more, but worth it. Also agree with @PT Ray about the sugar - for Tripels and Golden Strongs, plain old table sugar is fine. If you're doing a Dubbel or Quad (Dark Strong), then the darker candi sugar syrups add needed flavors, but that's not what you're going for.

As for yeast, I like White Labs Abbey Ale and Belgian Golden Ale yeasts. For these big Belgians, remember to use enough yeast - you don't want to underpitch.

|I don't have much more to say about the malt bill for this one, but what I will mention is that if / when you do brew this, make sure the fermentation temp is a little higher than usual. I brewed one a couple months ago, fermentation about where |I usually like it for ales - low 60s (it takes a bit longer for complete fermentation, but I prefer the results when fermenting lower)
and while a nice beer, my tripel doesn't have the spicy esters that are usual for the style.

Back