Belgian Tripel / Minimal Kreusan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewed up a Tripel on Sunday (all grain / 1 gallon). Used White Labs Belgian golden ale yeast, aerated carboy like normal.

Very active visible fermentation within 24 hours, and the action has already calmed down substantially. There is a ring of kreusan/foam around the carboy, but no build up across the top of the wort/beer like previous batches. Very minimal kreusan activity.

Is this normal for this type of beer/yeast? It is still fermenting and there are some bubbles across the top, but nothing more than that.

Worth noting, I did add some peaches around flameout and left them in the wort as it cooled. Strained them out while pouring wort into carboy.

Thanks!

Nothing to worry about, some yeasts produce huge krausens, some very little. Its also recipe dependant. As long as fermentation took place and there's evidence of the krausen ring I wouldnt give it a second thought

Never used the golden ale strain from WL, however I use 530,545,550 pretty regularly and have high sometimes violent krausen. Maybe the peaches added some oil content that is minimizing yours?

A hoppier beer will also have a "dirtier" looking krausen from hop oils and plant matter. This beer probably has less hops than previous batches, which might also contribute to the look of the foam. You're definitely fine.

Back