Belgian Table beer - seeking advice/input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloppystack

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

New to the forums here, and relatively new to brewing (been at it a little over a year in stops and starts, mostly BIAB).

After a few months off from brewing, I want to jump back in with a relatively simple low abv beer. I am shooting for something light and crackery/spicy, with a little body to it. I've looked around at a lot of other recipes for inspiration, and here is what I have come up with. Looking for any input to help make this brew a success!

Belgian table Beer (~5.5 gallons)
3 lb Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
1 lb White Wheat
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Carapils

Mash for 60 mins at 155, pH 5.43 (per EZ Water Calculator)
Water profile - Ca 79, Mg 10, Na 12, Cl 97, So 103
Cl/SO ratio of 0.95

Will be making additions to mash water + sparge water to hit these numbers.

60 minute boil, depending on availability at local brew store I will be looking for Saaz, Tettnanger, Sterlin, and/or Target hops.

Ferment with Wyeast 3724 or similar (again, based on availability, will go to the store next week a day or two before brewing).

Any ideas on yeast strain (what will best give me the flavors I am hoping for, temp ranges to shoot for over ferment), hops + addition scheduling, and water treatment would be very helpful.

Thanks!
:tank:

Thats a saison yeast, and it is likely to dry out the beer too much. Also that strain can be finicky, and prefers to get quite warm at the end of fermentation. 3787 @64-68F would probably be a strain thats better suited for what you are doing here, (or other trappist strain).

Thanks a lot, I had considered other strains but was concerned about too many fruity flavors being added. In the temp range you describe, I imagine it won't be hot enough for too many of those esters to show up.

Back