Belgian Pils/Centennial/WLP550 - too weird?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangloverenator

Reaction score
Been getting pretty stuck into SMaSH recipes (got a Maris Otter/Nelson Sauvin one on the go that I dry-hopped just the other day, smelling and tasting amazing!).

Recently picked up a vial of WLP550 (Belgian Ale Yeast), and I thought about this as a recipe... (I BIAB with a 10-minute dunk sparge, tiny 5 litre/1 gallon batches for my SMaSHes.)

1.2kg Dingeman's Belgian Pilsener Malt

3g Centennial 12.3%AA @ 90 mins
2g @30 mins
5g @ 5 mins

Ferment at 20-25C with WLP550

Thoughts?

Dan

Personally I think it would be fine. There is a beer from Flying Dog Brewing Company that is called Raging *****. It is a "Belgian IPA" and I'm pretty sure it is hopped with American varieties. I is a pretty good beer and the slightly citrusy hops works well with the Belgian yeast IMHO.

Yeah I've had it, love it! I've also had Great Divide Belgica which is similar - it's a style I like, it's just the pilsener malt I'm worried about, will it be "too clean"?

For a beer like that too clean of a malt flavor is not something I would worry about. Let the yeast and hops express themselves here. I think you will get something with plenty of flavor that is very refreshing.

I agree with bbrim. I wouldn't worry about pilsner being too clean. It is somewhat more subtle than 2 row, but I don't think it would make much of difference in your recipe. The yeast and the hops are definitely the headliners in your recipe.

I agree with bbrim. I wouldn't worry about pilsner being too clean. It is somewhat more subtle than 2 row, but I don't think it would make much of difference in your recipe. The yeast and the hops are definitely the headliners in your recipe.

Awesome :) hopefully brewing this weekend :ban:

Latest posts

Back