Belgian Pale Malt for an IRA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefulfloyd

Reaction score
Will this work in an IRA? The recipe I was looking at just said pale ale malt and I was not quite sure what it meant so I went with my gut. Am I boned?

meh, you'll be fine. It might have a slightly different taste than what was in intended but it'll still be beer. Drink it!

Meant Belgian Pale Ale malt, so I'll be fine? I'm just hoping it doesn't taste awful but I think there will be enough hops in there to cover it all up

It's a base malt, and while all 2-row base malts have some character, any distinction is going to be far more subtle than the many kilned/roasted or other specialty malts. Not an issue.

Agreed, and IME the differences between different pale ale malts is particularly subtle, harder than say tasting the difference between a beer made with pale ale malt vs. pilsner or domestic 2-row. Of course there are some that may be more distinctive like MO from certain maltsters, but to me even then it often requires tasting side by side to get the differences. It certainly won't make it awful, and who knows you may find a new favorite base malt.

Back