Belgian Dubbel to Celebrate Twins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawksBrewer

Reaction score
My wife and I welcomed our newborn twins into the world 10 days ago, and in a delirious state of lack of sleep combined with a Founders' Breakfast Stout, it is time to formulate a celebratory brew.

Talking to a fellow homebrewer who lives in my condo building, a Belgian Dubbel was suggested as the obvious goto style (instead of Delirium Tremens, think Delirium Twinens).

So, time to gather recipe ideas. Below is the recipe that I just came up with for the above stated style. What ideas/thoughts/changes do people have? I have never brewed a Belgian Dubbel before so I am open to suggestions and straight up criticism if need be.

5.75 lbs of 2-row (non-negotiable amount due to girl's birth weight)
5.4 lbs of Belgian Munich (again, non-negotiable due to boy's birth weight)
1 lb Belgian Biscuit
.5 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.5 lbs Belgian CaraMunich 40
.5 lbs Special B
.25 lbs Dark Candi Sugar

Mash at 152

1 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Czech Saaz (30 min)

Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast

Congrats on the kids, enjoys these sleepless days they go by fast. As for your brew the only thing i can see would be to increase the candi sugar to 1lb and maybe go with clear

I was toying with the idea of additional candi sugar and I think you may be on to something. Increasing the dark candi even a little adds way too much color so I think I'll swap out for clear or amber candi sugar and increase the amount. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry to be a downer, but your non-negotiable ingredients will not work in this style, unfortunately.

He said the weights were non-negotiable not the type of malts

OK, I guess you could change it to pilsner and U.S. two row.

Other than that, the recipe looks pretty solid. One change I would make would be to use an amber candi syrup, and increase the amount to 1 lb. You need more sugar to keep the beer light, but I prefer the dubbels I have made with lighter sugar. If you want more plum/raisin, use more special B.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, the amounts are non-negotiable, not the malts. Updated recipe will be same as above, but 5.4 lbs pilsner instead of munich and 1 lb of amber candi sugar to replace the dark candi sugar. Now I just need to find time to brew it...

Congrats! I'm a twin also. IMO clear candi sugar is a waste of money, the Trappist breweries just use table sugar. Most of the dark fruit flavor comes from the dark candi syrup or the special B. Many sources (including Brew Like a Monk) indicate that the dark candi syrup is the way to go, the rocks or lighter stuff isn't worth it.

Use D-45, it is an amber candi syrup with really good flavor.

Back