Beglian Dubbel Fermentation Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcshaw16

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to brew a belgian dubbel this afternoon using wyeast 1388 belgian strong yeast. I need some pointers on a fermentation schedule for this beer.

From what I have read, I understand I should let this warm up a bit. So, I was planning on pitching in the mid 60's...and I am not sure what to do from there...do i hold it in the mid 60s until fermentation slows and then warm up, or let it naturally ramp up to mid 70s? I have a temp controlled fermenter box so I can cool or heat to whatever I need.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your idea to pitch low is great, and produces the best results with Belgian yeasts.

I usually try to keep it in the mid to upper 60's for several days (4-5ish) and then let the temp rise into the 70's. Plan on keeping it in the fermenter for 4-5 weeks minimum. I usually don't even check on it until 4-5 weeks. My normal bottling time is about 6 weeks.

I have a tripel in a fermenter now that has been in there for 6 weeks. I guess I should think about checking it and see about bottling it.

Also Belgians really do benefit from longer bottle conditioning. Think months instead of weeks. They can be very drinkable at 4-6 weeks but after a couple of months they really get much better.

Your idea to pitch low is great, and produces the best results with Belgian yeasts.

That is a personal opinion, and does not necessarily produce the best result. Additionally, different yeasts do better at different temperatures.

Unless I'm after a specific profile, I generally keep my Belgians at a constant temperature in the low 70s throughout and use a swamp cooler to ensure it does not take-off on me. And then ramp the temperature up into the 80s to finish it off. And no, I don't get a lot of fusels, generally the beers are pretty smooth.

With reference to this yeast. It is the Duvel strain. Keeping it low for too long, and you run the risk of it dropping out on you and stalling.

Per BLAM, Duvel starts in the low 60s and lets it rise up to 80 over 5 days.

Per BLAM, Duvel starts in the low 60s and lets it rise up to 80 over 5 days.

I agree with this but for the homebrewer, if you try to ramp it up too fast then you may have the temp get away from you. Ramping it up slower is much easier and you don't risk fusels. Getting it higher later will definitely help it finish low.

Back