Beginners Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley1271

Reaction score
So I am looking to keg my next batch, which is already in the fermenter as of Saturday 3/14/11. I would like to put my kegs in a freezer and use a Digital Temperature Controller to adjust when the freezer is on. My assumptions on this are that I set the control temps, both min and max, and the controller turns on the power for the freezer while it needs to run. How, far off base am I on this? I do not want to tear the whole freezer apart at this point as I do not really have the money to replace it and buying it will be all I can afford at this point.

Later on I plan to take the top off and build my own top with taps installed. However, for now I plan to just open the lid and use the picnic taps to pour a glass. From my experience in hurricanes(FL) and earth quakes(CA) I know that freezers are good at holding their temps for days as long as the seal is not broken. So I am thinking this could be my quick way of getting my beer chilled in the kegs and I will only be breaking the seal when I want a beer.

TIA
-Stanley

Logically, for your build - you're spot on - many of us plug our freezers into controllers, just like that -

as far as them holding their temps for multiple days, that is not exactly accurate. Understanding that frozen=frozen, a freezer that brings the food down to -20 will take many days before the food is unfrozen, but it will not stay at -20. It will surely climb.

Holding your beer at serving temps, it will cycle much more often than "deep" freeze, and your freezer will last about 7-8 years. Any longer is bonus and borrowed time. (Mine died last Oct at 7 yrs).

I verified this information with an HVAC guy that works on refrigeration equipment too - he said "buy another one!"

Yep, that's all you need to build a keezer so to speak. Dressing it up with taps and a collar are the next step. I was going to build a keezer, but I'm gonna build a kegarator instead. Can't wait to get started just waiting for the government to deliver my tax return.

Latest posts

Back