Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tche

Reaction score
Hello fellas... My girlfriend just gave a home brewer kit ( balliihoo ) and I want to start brewing asap... Can anyone help me advising me which book to buy or any YouTube's video that could be helpful or website?

Thank you all

Also, when you say "homebrewer kit" do you mean a kit with brewing equipment, or just an ingredient kit?

I have "Home brew beer" from Greg Hughes ... Is it a good one ?

Palmer's book is definitely the one for details.
If you buy it in print form, it is the most recent version. There is a version online, that is the first edition. He has changed a lot of things in there since that was published.
Another one I recommend is Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
Palmer is more about the nuts and bolts, about the numbers of brewing. Papazian is more of a "feel" guy - his theory is, if your procendures are sound, you'll end up with beer, though it may not fit in exactly to any category.
I think that both of them have their place in any homebrewers bookshelf.

It is the equipment... Sorry for not specifying

Hey! Sorry myself! I honestly thought that "ballihoo" was a cheer of joy for getting a brew kit from your gf or something. Some guys would be thrilled to have an SO that is supportive enough buy equipment and say, "Here Baby, go brew some beer! :p

In any case, the first website I would recommend would be HBT forums right here. There are answers to every question in the book here, presented from every point of view in the book as well. It makes for both informative and often entertaining reading. Plus, these guys and gals are brewing great beer right now, with the ingredients and equipment available right now. Current and up to date is good.

Also be sure and check out the AHA "How to Brew Beer" tutorials, if you haven't been there already. I learned the basics there. Instructions for extract, partial mash, as well as all grain techniques are explained there for free and and right at hand. It might help you to get a quick understanding of what you're in for. Get registered and you'll get the magazine as well, which is worth it by itself.

Finally, let me recommend Brewers Friend, as you can use it for free. This is a recipe formulation site, primarily. I don't recommend creating your own recipes right off the bat, but this can be a helpful resource for a number of reasons. If I am brewing a kit, for example, I'll go ahead and input the ingredients into the builder, then use the brew function to keep track of my... well... everything. The calculators are VERY useful. Check it out, you'll see what I mean.
Some folks use a very good program called BeerSmith for similar functions, but it requires some investment. There is a 30 day free trial, however!

Others can give you better advice on books. I'm ashamed to say my unread book pile is taller than I am, at this point. Palmer's is very popular, I understand. :)

Have fun with your new hobby! May you brew good beer!

Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy to Homebrewing is great.
Palmers How to brew is terrific and a good jumpstart into brewing.

Don't be nervous. It will prolly be quite easy. We are on our 3rd brew this weekend. Just follow the instructions if you get a kit that has everything in it like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC783DW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Always remember to clean everything very well and keep everything sterile!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you fellas ... You all are very helpful... Very kind of you all... I think the first step is buying Palmer's book apparently then I can give it a go on my brewing... Thanks a lot !

Back