Beginner Keg, Carbonation, Regulator Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer-me-now

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of those 1/2 gallon mini keg/growlers with a mini regulator that takes 16g CO2 cartridges to force carbonate a VERY stubborn barrel aged stout. Opened up the regulator all the way and it maxes out between 20-25psi. 24 hours later I turned the regulator off and released the pressure until the gage read 7psi. Pulled the handle and finally got to enjoy a glass of cold and nicely carbonated stout.

Question 1 - now what? Do I just leave the regulator off and monitor the gage to make sure it stays at "serving pressure" of ~7-10psi?

Question 2 - how long will the beer remain carbonated with the regulator off as described above? I assume since the beer is carbonated and the keg is pressurized that it will stay this way indefinitely like an unopened bottle of beer/soda/whatever.

Question 3 - bottle/growler filling issues? I understand there are online charts/calculators for force carbonating in a keg to specific volumes of CO2. Are there any safety issues (bottle bombs) I need to be aware of when filling a bottle or growler from the keg to enter into competitions, bottle shares, etc? I basically have a baby keg with max pressure of 20-25psi, is it even possible for me to over carbonate a beer so much so that it causes a bottle to explode a few days/weeks after filling it?

Really appreciate any info you have and look forward to having enough room in the future to buy a "real keg" haha

At the very least, by pouring beer, you have to replace the volume lost with CO2, or expect CO2 to come from solution into the headspace.

Those 16g cartridges don't last long.

How long will beer stay carbed is based entirely on its temp and the pressure in the headspace. There are a couple of great charts (a good read here). If either pressure or temp changes, the dissolved CO2 amount will change.

Bottle bombs from keg-carbed beer are not a concern.

At the very least, by pouring beer, you have to replace the volume lost with CO2, or expect CO2 to come from solution into the headspace.

Those 16g cartridges don't last long.

How long will beer stay carbed is based entirely on its temp and the pressure in the headspace. There are a couple of great charts (a good read here). If either pressure or temp changes, the dissolved CO2 amount will change.

Bottle bombs from keg-carbed beer are not a concern.

Bottle bombs not a concern, thanks for clarifying.

As for replacing the volume lost with CO2 would I just turn the regulator back on until it maxes out again and then release the pressure until it goes back down to 7-10psi?

Sorry again if this all sounds obvious, it's easy to find information about all the keg gear, filling it up, carbonating etc but very difficult to find information about actually operating and maintaining the keg and regulator once the beer is in it and carbonated.

You should leave the regulator on at 7-10 psi. No reason to turn it off. It will maintain the head pressure/carbonation while serving or in storage.

You should leave the regulator on at 7-10 psi. No reason to turn it off. It will maintain the head pressure/carbonation while serving.

This is what I was expecting to be able to do when I was researching before purchasing, but it might be either my user error or a design limitation with this particular mini keg/growler. I'm not sure how to turn the regulator on without it maxing out. If the regulator is on and I pull the pressure release to lower the psi then the gas comes on until it maxes out again. The only way I can figure out how to leave it set at a certain pressure is to max it out, turn it off and release pressure slowly until it reaches the pressure I want. I am completely new to "kegging" so I have no problem accepting that I'm dumb and might be doing something wrong haha

Here is a link to exactly what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/BACOENG-Pres...CKS2DJGZ88C&psc=1&refRID=ZGSP627PJCKS2DJGZ88C

When you turn the "regulator" on, can you do so slowly? The label makes it look like it should be adjustable. Maybe it is just on/off though? I am not familiar with that specific type but the mini growlers i have are only about 2/3 of a turn to max pressure and somewhat linear between off and full on(0-20 psi). Try to release the pressure and then just crack the regulator a little bit, wait and see if the pressure rises at all. If it doesn't just turn a bit more and wait. You may have a faulty regulator too if you can only go on or off.

When you turn the "regulator" on, can you do so slowly? The label makes it look like it should be adjustable. Maybe it is just on/off though? I am not familiar with that specific type but the mini growlers i have are only about 2/3 of a turn to max pressure and somewhat linear between off and full on(0-20 psi). Try to release the pressure and then just crack the regulator a little bit, wait and see if the pressure rises at all. If it doesn't just turn a bit more and wait. You may have a faulty regulator too if you can only go on or off.

Thank you again, I'll try turning it slowly and see what happens.

Thank you again, I'll try turning it slowly and see what happens.

Reading through the amazon reviews it does appear that you should be able to regulate the pressure so if yours is just going straight to max pressure the regulator probably needs to be replaced.

Yes, the product description implies there's an actual regulator in the "updated" model, and it's clearly shown in the video.
That said, the video was from a different model with a flow-control faucet...

Cheers!

Thank you both, I will see what I can figure out with the regulator tonight and contact the seller if it appears to be deficient in any way.

Back