Before my first all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Next week i will begin my first all grain brew

First of all here is my equipment,

I have 2 keggles with a ss braid in each and with a sight glass and thermometer.
Got a sq14 burner and http://nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-copper-immersion.php for my chiller
No pump...using gravity

second here is my recipe i found on a website : *
8.5 lbs. 2-row pale malt
* 1.5 lbs. Munich Malt
* 4 oz. Crystal Malt (35 Lovibond)
* 1 oz. Chocolate Malt
* 1 oz. Hallertau (3.8%)
* 3/4 oz. Stryian Goldings(5.0%)
* 1/2 oz. Saaz (3.5%)
* 1 Tsp Irish Moss
* Chimay Yeast starter (1.5 Qts.)

for my first all grain

Here is what i will be doing,

I will get 3.75 gallons of water to about 168 degrees and then add my 10 lbs of grains and get it down to 156 degrees. i will let it sit for about a hour.

Then i will drain all the wort into a bucket using (gravity of course). I will pour 2.5 gallons of water at 168 degrees mix it and let it sit for 5mins and grain that into a buckets with the wort. then i will repeat that and add another 2.5 gallons of water at 168 degree and let it sit for 5mins and drain it into the bucket as well. Then i will pour the whole wort into the other keggle and start my boil.

And after the boil my first all grain batch will be done!

How is that so far guys?

Is there any problems with it??

Please tell me

Thank you,
Bob

look at mash water volume should be 1qt to 1.5qt per pound depending on body of beer you are looking to acheive.

grain aborbs about .5 qt per pound

btw make sure u use a hose on wort. I didnt and I was worried about HSA

Read more on this forum look for bobby M comments he is the "authority" i have found on this forum among others but he has answerd many basic questions precisely and accurately.

You could also raise the temp of the grain/mash by directly heating your keggle and doing rests at 145, 154, and 162 degrees. Doing those rests will allow you to get better efficiency out of your system.

Wiki

Back