beersmith vs beertools????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
i'm looking to purchase one of these and was wondering what everyones opinions (pros/cons) of these softwares were.

Its personal preference basically. I have been using Beer Tools Pro since I started brewing and love it. Not to mention I currently have a mac. Beersmith has been saying they were going to come out with a verison for the mac, but so far no luck. Definitely download the trial versions and see which one you are more comfortable using. BTP is confusing at first, but once you get everything set up it is very easy to adjust recipes, mash schedule...etc

I use Beer Smith and really like it. However, I question whether it is still being developed since there have been no updates for some time. Brad hangs around here, or at least used to. So tech support may be more readily available for Beer Smith as well.

Yea, I wish beersmith would have updates more often. Even if it was just for new styles or even some more sample recipes.

The cool thing i like about beersmith, Is you pick a style and build a recipe that fits the style. It gives you suggestions on what is typical in that style but...Worst i have ever done is have to revise a recipe a couple times till i got it where i wanted.

I went with beersmith and I can't really remember why now but I recall playing with the trial of BTP. I know beersmith looks a little dated but it works and easy to work with.

I tried both BeerSmith and Beer Tools Pro. I liked the interface of Beer Tools Pro, but I ended up liking BeerSmith better. I agree with everyone who said to get the trials of both programs and put them through their paces.

I've been using beersmith for a while now. I've never really used anything else. It gets the job done, but it's not as intuitive as it should/could be. For instance, if I wanted to delete an ingredient from a recipe, you can't just hit the delete key on your keyboard, you have to click on "delete". It's not a major complaint tho.

Back