BeerSmith Mash Temp and Final Gravity Estimate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two BeerSmith questions:

1. Using single infusion batch sparge mashing, how do I change the temperate to exactly what I want? If I choose medium body, its 154 degrees, full body is 158 degrees, what if I want to mash at 156 degrees?

2. i just noted that when i change the mash temperature, it doesn't change the estimated final gravity. That's not correct, is it? I've probably made some selection in the recipe that's keeping that from adjusting - any ideas?

If no one is able to help with these, I'll send Brad a note on Monday. Happy New Years Day!

Two BeerSmith questions:

1. Using single infusion batch sparge mashing, how do I change the temperate to exactly what I want? If I choose medium body, its 154 degrees, full body is 158 degrees, what if I want to mash at 156 degrees?

2. i just noted that when i change the mash temperature, it doesn't change the estimated final gravity. That's not correct, is it? I've probably made some selection in the recipe that's keeping that from adjusting - any ideas?

If no one is able to help with these, I'll send Brad a note on Monday. Happy New Years Day!

1. It's easy. Open that choice, and edit it to your desired temp. It'll adjust the strike temps accordingly.

2. That's one thing about Beersmith I don't like. Yeast attenuation, ingredients, and mash temps aren't taken into consideration- the estimated FG isn't a great estimate. For example, in a recipe with just 2-row and corn sugar, the estimated FG would be the same as in a recipe with caramel malt, and lactose. Well, of course, the latter would have a higher FG. So, you have to figure out a more reasonable FG on your own, depending on the recipe. If you just want a guestimate, though, it's fine.

Thanks Yoop. Are you back home? Did you note the Oak Lawn water tower as you zipped north on 294? :)

haha- I didn't call you because I went I 90/94. Otherwise, I would have begged you out for a beer.

I'm in Pleasant Prairie(?), Wisconsin at the moment with The_Pol's former brew rig in my pickup. I brought the electronics into the motel with me because it's getting cold outside. I should be home by tomorrow evening.

Back