Beersmith Mash and Brewhouse Eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I've setup my last recipe so my mash eff. equal my brewhouse eff. at 77.7. Now Im creating a new Recipe on my Equipment now for my measured mash eff is around 45% now is this normal? do I have to wait tip I do my recipe and input data in and see how I was at?

This only makes sense if you are doing a large addition of DME or sugars in your recipe. First check and make sure the recipe type is set correctly to Partial Mash or All Grain depending upon what you intend.

Maybe if you posted your recipe and equipment I can see if there is something else that may be at issue.

This only makes sense if you are doing a large addition of DME or sugars in your recipe. First check and make sure the recipe type is set correctly to Partial Mash or All Grain depending upon what you intend.

Maybe if you posted your recipe and equipment I can see if there is something else that may be at issue.

Recipe type is correct and Im set to all grain.
I don't even know how to post my recipe so you can see.

You can always export your recipe and equipment profiles from BeerSmith and attach the BeerXML files here. We can download them and load them directly into our BeerSmith and see where it stands.

I've setup my last recipe so my mash eff. equal my brewhouse eff. at 77.7. Now I'm creating a new Recipe on my Equipment now for my measured mash eff is around 45% now is this normal?

For BH efficiency to equal Mash, then you must have the Loss to Trub & Chiller set to zero. So, the estimated gravities should look like what you'd expect.

You are also saing that the measured field is saying 45%, which is a number that gets calculated from the measured gravity and volume you input. BeerSmith default recipe has some numbers in those fields, which are just place holders. Until you brew the recipe, those should be zero.

This gives you a great opportunity to zero out all of the user measured fields, then build a basic recipe using your favorite base malt, basic bittering and all of the minor items that go into every recipe (Irish moss, basic yeast, water, priming sugar, etc.). Also set it to your equipment, preferred mas, fermentation and bottling profiles. You then use the "Set as Default" button hidden in plain sight in the middle of the Home ribbon.

Once you've done that, every new recipe you add will start with all of the tedious stuff already in place.

I've attached the recipe

Back