BeerSmith 2 Sucks for Me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiluvr03

Reaction score
I'm sure it's because I'm new to it and it's the first time I'm trying to use such a program, but, I think it sucks bigtime!!!! Everytime I enter one value for an ingredient, then go to another and put in a value for it, it will change the numbers on the first MoFo. I've been messing with it for an hour now and I've had it. I'm gonna just write the chit down and look at charts and tables and do it the old way. I'm normally hip to catching on fast to new programs and such, but this one sucks big time. I'm going to shop around for another. I don't see why so many people make such a big deal over this one. I'm sure if I figured-out the little quirks, then it is great. I will probably look back at this thread and think what a ******* I was back then, lol. As for right now, you can have it.

I'm sure it's because I'm new to it and it's the first time I'm trying to use such a program, but, I think it sucks bigtime!!!! Everytime I enter one value for an ingredient, then go to another and put in a value for it, it will change the numbers on the first MoFo. I've been messing with it for an hour now and I've had it. I'm gonna just write the chit down and look at charts and tables and do it the old way. I'm normally hip to catching on fast to new programs and such, but this one sucks big time. I'm going to shop around for another. I don't see why so many people make such a big deal over this one. I'm sure if I figured-out the little quirks, then it is great. I will probably look back at this thread and think what a ******* I was back then, lol. As for right now, you can have it.

OK I'll take it. Thanks;) Seriously though it would help if we understood what values you are trying to input.

Are you talking about the amounts? Because BS can be set to sort those automatically, which is what might be confusing you. I dunno. Pics for ref, notice that increasing the amount of carapils has moved it:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Are you talking about the amounts? Because BS can be set to sort those automatically, which is what might be confusing you. I dunno. Pics for ref, notice that increasing the amount of carapils has moved it:
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I change the number in one recipe, and it will change the number in other, then the OG will change. I can't say which values changed, because they all change at one point or another. One thing I noticed, is says the OG should between this number and that number for the style of beer I'm making, but, it's not taking into account the honey I added. I know it's all amateurism on my part. I found some more basic and easier programs for me to try out until I figure out what my noobie mistakes are. Another thing I didn't like, I had to keep using google because it wanted lbs for things that I used oz, so I had to convert, but, that wasn't too hard. The conversion might be some of the problems; but, it seemed to take it. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Have you taken the time to view the various tutorials? When I first started using BeerSmith a couple of years ago I found them very helpful. Once you've set up your equipment profile it's really a very easy & accurate program to use.
As for converting grains that call for ounces why not just divide by 16 & enter the decimal value. BS will convert ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the software, but I've had similar issues. For instance, my batch size keeps resetting to 5 gal. I usually brew 6.5 to account for loss. Every now and then I'll go in to look at a recipe and it's back to 5 gal. I usually notice it because the ABV is through the roof. There are a few others I've notices too.

It can be a little frustrating at times, but overall it's a great tool.

As far as reverting batch sizes, I've noticed this too if I use the drop-down to change my mash profile, I have to reset the batch size. It seems like some changes cause the calculations to revert to the default size.

If you go through the tutorials and learn to set up your preferences these changes won't happen. The equipment profile is the most important to work on.

Beersmith is a sophisticated tool. You have to learn how to use it.

When you first start a video game can you get to level 51 without reading the directions on how to play the game?

BS will convert automatically for you. If you use 31 ounces of something, type in 31 oz and it will convert it for you. Same with all the other measurements. What ever you set your defaults to, it will convert them for you.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

If you go through the tutorials and learn to set up your preferences these changes won't happen. The equipment profile is the most important to work on.

I agree that once I nailed down my equipment profile numbers BS is super accurate. It's not meant to be a "one size fits all" program and there is a learning curve that frustrated me when I first started using it also.

That being said I have had ingredient weight values change when adding or editing another ingredient. I think it is a bug because IIRC it has only happened on recipes I have adjusted using the style sliders.

When you first start a video game can you get to level 51 without reading the directions on how to play the game?

Directions? I got to level 52 w/o directions.

I've got everything setup. This usually happens when I flip between multiple equipment profiles. I have 2 custom setups. I generally do 2 batches at a time. When I'm getting everything ready to brew I will select which setup I will be using. That seems to be when things get reset. I know what to look for now, but every now and then I miss it.

Caveat: I'm still on the trial version, so I haven't been using it that long - The thing that I noticed is my IBUs changing without touching the boil volume, AA%, hop weight or grain bill. Last night I entered a recipe and the mash profile, but forgot to change the beer style for the comparison tool. When I changed the beer style my IBUs dropped from 26.9 to 23.1. Obviously the range would change, but the estimated IBUs from my recipe that appear to the left of the comparison range shouldn't have changed. I don't recall the changes that affected the IBUs previously; could have been the same change or something else, but last night I noticed immediately.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I change the number in one recipe, and it will change the number in other, then the OG will change. I can't say which values changed, because they all change at one point or another. One thing I noticed, is says the OG should between this number and that number for the style of beer I'm making, but, it's not taking into account the honey I added. I know it's all amateurism on my part. I found some more basic and easier programs for me to try out until I figure out what my noobie mistakes are. Another thing I didn't like, I had to keep using google because it wanted lbs for things that I used oz, so I had to convert, but, that wasn't too hard. The conversion might be some of the problems; but, it seemed to take it. Thanks for the replies thus far.

First off if you had read anything, you'd know that you can enter '2 oz' into a field in BS and it will convert it for you. I use BS all the time and the only way changing an amount of an ingredient would affect another recipe is if you are changing the ingredient list instead of editing the ingredient in your recipe. You really should go RTFM.

Monty

Like Jeremybrown said- It will display whatever units you have it set to display- I often enter hop weights grams and it converts for me.

Monsteroid, STFU, I don't need your smart-azz remarks! The rest of you, thank you very much. As was said before monster replied, there are tutorials and such and I didn't know this. I will look for them when I get off. Also, thanks for the comments about the program auto-converting. I did a brew last night and was wanting to enter everything in real-time instead of writing everything down. It's hard to write, add hops, and all at the same time with a beer in your hand. I promise to be more prepared next time and hopefully I will be able to nicely help others with the program as most of you in here have done. Cheers

I like the software, but I've had similar issues. For instance, my batch size keeps resetting to 5 gal. I usually brew 6.5 to account for loss. Every now and then I'll go in to look at a recipe and it's back to 5 gal. I usually notice it because the ABV is through the roof. There are a few others I've notices too.

It can be a little frustrating at times, but overall it's a great tool.

Monsteroid, STFU, I don't need your smart-azz remarks! The rest of you, thank you very much. As was said before monster replied, there are tutorials and such and I didn't know this. I will look for them when I get off. Also, thanks for the comments about the program auto-converting. I did a brew last night and was wanting to enter everything in real-time instead of writing everything down. It's hard to write, add hops, and all at the same time with a beer in your hand. I promise to be more prepared next time and hopefully I will be able to nicely help others with the program as most of you in here have done. Cheers

Time to
Play nice children. Unless you've used the software there is a learning curve for all of us!

I saw one that had a couple of equipment profiles. If you change the equipment BS is going to change to reflect the different equipment. It should change in the outcome though. Not in ingredient amounts.

Keep working with BS. IMO it is a great tool. It is not a plug and play, you need to learn how to use it. It is much more powerful and versatile than most of the online recipe makers. I used what is now Brewtoad with success, but BS gives a lot more control/information.

Latest posts

Back