Beers You Used To Drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thwizzit

Reaction score
There are certain beers that I just never liked at all but there are a handful of beers that I used to drink that I can't believe I ever liked in the first place.

I can't tell you how much Colt 45 I drank in college but I just don't like it anymore. Many moons ago I also used to drink JW Dundee's Honey Brown, and way back in high school we used to drink and Michelob , Molson Golden, Moosehead, Hamm's, Reingold (what didn't you drink in high school?) but don't think I've had any of those in ten years or more.

What beer did you drink a lot of at one time and now just can't believe you ever liked?

Canadian, Keith's (will still take it on draught if there's nothing else), used to buy a lot of Stella, Sleeman's . . .

Nothing all that shameful, actually.

When I first turned 19 it was Rickards Red for me, I couldn't stand the taste of the standard Blue/Canadian/Bud. I graduated to Sleemans pretty quickly and then I got an interest in imported English beers and there was no turning back at that point.

Yeah, even when I was drinking a lot of Canadian (because it's what my older brothers bought) I'd aspire to beer-snobbery, and I'd use my fake ID to get into beer bars with my friends and drink Hobgoblin and Hoegaarden and ooh and aah at the beers that tasted like something.

(by the time I was of age I had pretty good taste.)

Wildcat strong for camping. 6.5% and cheap. Actually tasted better than canadian IMO.

Coors light cause my firends did. Then I started drinking water and got a better buzz.

Guiness, now I raely drink it cause ut's not stouty enough for me.

IN college it was Mickey's in the big mouth bottles, so you could drink it faster. Then I drank MGD forever. Most recent was Newcastle.

College was Molson Ice, Miller Genuine Draft and Old Milwaukee's Best. I have no interest to drink any of these anymore.

Its been a while but in HS/College; Miller Lite, Bud Light, Busch Light, Amstel Light, Natty Light, Yuengling, PBR, anything else cheap...

When I was a kid, Rolling Rock was the el cheapo crap beer choice. It was like $1.79 a six pack. Now, I'm shocked to see it on the "good domestic" beer lists in some bars!

When I lived in Arizonia while I was in the Army, it was Coors. Either than or Boone's Farm.

Then, the Army sent me to Germany in 1982. I've liked good beer ever since!

Anything that we could get, whenever we could. I remember the first time I got drunk my friend's sister worked at a bar, and she got us a 6 of Geobels (sp). His brother came home with 2 large buds, and we also had 2 small buds with dinner. While drinking all of that, we also nipped the old man's whiskey. Quite a bit for a 130 lb. 17 yo.

We also snuck a few Michelob Lights out to the barn...

Mickey's was my go to, but whenever we'd get a keg it was always Beast Lite (Old Milwaukee's Best). We'd go through 3 kegs in a weekend. Our college parties were friggin awesome.

In high school, it was almost exclusively Mad Dog 20/20. Mostly orange jubilee, but sometimes it was strawberry kiwi.

In college, I went from natty light at parties to OE Ice / Private Stock in my later years. We had a local bar called Hokie House that was usually a frat sh*thole, but would also have awesome happy hours every day where you could get a huge mug of whatever beer they had on tap for $2. I'd usually hit the guinness, newcastle or killians. Yeah, I thought it was pretty good at the time.

I started trying other stuff, like Sam Adams' various brews, and liked 'em even more (I then realized just how sweet Newcastle was). Then I started working in a fine wine/beer shop, and the rest was history. :D

If we're talking about high school, it was Bud, or Boone's Farm, or wine/hard liquor that we stole from my grandfather's house (or my parents; I think they still have a bottle of gin that's probably about 20 proof).

If we're talking about LEGAL drinking, pre-homebrew I would usually get a sixer of Molson (Golden or Canadian), maybe Labatts. At parties, it'd be Heinekin or Sammy. I'd occassionally seek out a sixer of Sapporo or some other Asian lager. Occassional Guiness.

Other than the affinity for Asian lagers, pretty straightforward.

the_bird said:
If we're talking about high school, it was Bud, or Boone's Farm, or wine/hard liquor that we stole from my grandfather's house (or my parents; I think they still have a bottle of gin that's probably about 20 proof).

If we're talking about LEGAL drinking, pre-homebrew I would usually get a sixer of Molson (Golden or Canadian), maybe Labatts. At parties, it'd be Heinekin or Sammy. I'd occassionally seek out a sixer of Sapporo or some other Asian lager. Occassional Guiness.

Other than the affinity for Asian lagers, pretty straightforward.

Ha! I WAS legal during high school! Well, at least during the second half of my senior year, anyway. The drinking age in WI was 18 back then. We would go down to the corner tavern and get tappers of Pabst for a quarter. It's pretty easy to get sh!tfaced at that price.

There was a time in my life when I thought MGD, Red Dog, and Red Wolf were quality beers. I also used to drink alot of Henry Weinhard's.

Now a low end beer for me would be SNPA or Widmer Hefe.

In college LOTS of OE800, Beast, and of course Lone Star was 7bucks for a 18 pack. Bud Light when we could afford it, and anything that my friends bought or was at the party.

SD

Narragansett, Schaefer, Carling's Black Label, Ballantine, Fife & Drum, Haffenreffer, Schlitz, Miller HL, Bud, Michelob

I've partaken of more 30-packs of Icehouse than I care to remember.

And back then, I thought Rolling Rock and Killian's were the isht.

before I was of age take your pick. anything I could get my hands on. bmc, moosehead, heffenreffer, red white and blue, schlitz, pbr, keystone, red dog, red wolf. we had alot of parties when I was in my teens.

McKBrew said:
There was a time in my life when I thought MGD, Red Dog, and Red Wolf were quality beers. .

Holy smokes! I totally forgot about Red Dog :)

Hardly believe no one said Rainier.Rainier drinkers were a very brand loyal bunch.Must be a Pacific North West thing.In my younger days cheap was the key factor.Lucky Lager,Schlitz Bull(malt liquor),Prinz Brau(a short lived Anchorage brewery),Schmidt(animal beer) or Oly.Heinekin when we were flush(yechh).
Cheers

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
That's awesome!! I forgot all about Boone's. I mean who hasn't had a Boone's?

I've never had Boone's Farm, but it seems that every time I tell someone older about my Apfelwein, they mention that they've had Boone's Farm. Then they refuse to try anything I've made.

In college it was Milwaukees Best Ice, or Beast Ice as we'd call it. Later on Killians/Yeungling. Now if I'm out, its Smithwicks or SN IPA which I find on tap alot here. We have a place called the Ale House near here with 36 beers on tap and I am working on my tour of the world. Good way to discover new favorites!:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
Hardly believe no one said Rainier.Rainier drinkers were a very brand loyal bunch.Must be a Pacific North West thing.In my younger days cheap was the key factor.Lucky Lager,Schlitz Bull(malt liquor),Prinz Brau(a short lived Anchorage brewery),Schmidt(animal beer) or Oly.Heinekin when we were flush(yechh).
Cheers

Rainier had the best commercials and was the only beer in 16oz. bottles. Olympia had the stubby bottles that was one of my younger favorites:mug:

Miller High Life, Any Leinenkugel's, Natty Light..

Thankful to say I don't partake anymore.

Greg

Crazytwoknobs said:
I've never had Boone's Farm, but it seems that every time I tell someone older about my Apfelwein, they mention that they've had Boone's Farm. Then they refuse to try anything I've made.

If you ever had a Boone's Farm apple wine hangover, you would not ever believe that anything alcoholic made from apples was made for human consumption. A few of my buddies went cat fishing with a lot of bottles and a big sack full of peanuts, you can figure out the rest.:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Onescalerguy said:
Cheers

Rainier had the best commercials and was the only beer in 16oz. bottles. Olympia had the stubby bottles that was one of my younger favorites:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
Cheers
Now you are talking my language. Those Northwest beers were popular in my neck of the woods growing up in Northern Idaho and Western Montana. Loved the Rainer, Lucky Lager, Oly, and Hamms (great grenade bottles). Used to get the Rainer on tap. That was sweet. In fact my first homebrew in the late 80s was bottled in Rainer pounders. Good times.

In highschool, I used to love Rolling Rock in the summertime.....Haven't had it in years.

Back