beers not dropping clear.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
ever since i started treating my water i noticed beer's are not wanting to drop clear. i have two beers that have been in the keg and super cold for 3 days now and it looks like its in the middle of fermentation.

could water chemistry cause my beers to cloud up after fermenting? super stumped on this.

ever since i started treating my water i noticed beer's are not wanting to drop clear. i have two beers that have been in the keg and super cold for 3 days now and it looks like its in the middle of fermentation.

could water chemistry cause my beers to cloud up after fermenting? super stumped on this.

How is your water treatment different now than before?

for example, before i would just add campden tablet and ride it out with my hard, high alkalinity high ph water.

now i will cut my house water with 30-40% distilled water and add 3-4 grams of gypsum and calcium chloride to reach the style i am looking for. since then my beer out of the ferment has been cloudy. the last two beers looked almost unfinished. my last beer dropped clear and turned out to be one of my best.

Assuming nothing else has changed (yeast, recipe, temperature, process) it might. Calcium and pH both effect yeast flocculation. So, for example, if your current water is much lower in Ca2+ compared to before, you could get less yeast flocculation.

As mentioned by the poster before me calcium deficiency could cause the yeast to flocculate vert slowly or not at all, but since you're only cutting your water with 30-40% distilled and then adding calcium salts back I doubt that's the case.
Does the beer turn hazy only after it's cooled? If that's the case then you're probably dealing with chill haze.
If it's already hazy before cooling it might be a protein haze that's not related to temperature. One way to test for this is to add a few drops of concentrated lye solution and to see if the haze dissipates as the lye breaks down the proteins.

Back