Beers not bubbling???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic501j

Reaction score
I made up a batch of porter,and for the first few days it was bubbling along,Its at my friends house and so i didnt see it everyday,anyways he racked it into the secondary for me and its not bubbling at all,i asked him if it had stil been bubbling in the first one and he wasnt sure?? is the beer messed up or what,i went ahead and added another thing of yeast last night so hopefully it will start again.just wondering whats going on.
thanks

It's fine

It's probably just about done fermenting and slowed down to a pace where ya just dont notice any airlock activity. Take a SG reading then let it sit another day or 2 and take another SG reading. If it seem to have stopped and the reading looks good to you and you're happy with the clarity bottle at will.

If for some reason you are feeling a little concerned still let it sit for a bit longer. Hell I have had beers in the secondary for more then 2 months with no problems.

It is probably very close to done. My last porter went from 1.058 to 1.020 in two days. It took another ten days to get to 1.015. I've got a red in the fermentor that hit 1.022 in 36 hours from 1.055. That should drop a few more points.

Stuck ferments are fairly rare, so many people don't bother checking gravities. Personally, I like to know what is going on (even though I use plastic buckets because I don't want to see what's happening)!

I have a hydrometer but i never took a reading when i made it,is that what your talking about when you yeah SG ? So im looking for a SG of 1.022 range? Do you think i messed it up adding the other yeast? It just seemed wierd to me, we made a rasberry wheat the week before for my friend as his was bubbling away more in the secondary that mine in the primary are you supose to wait till it completly stop bubbling before you bottle?
thanks

Do you think i messed it up adding the other yeast?

Na, adding more yeast didnt do anything actually. If they dont have anything to feed on they wont multiply and just settle to the bottom of your fermentor. Worse case scenerio you added 1/64th of an inch of trub to your brew . . . in other words nothing happened

For bottling either wait a week or so and make sure there is no airlock activity -OR- take some gravity readings for 2 or 3 days, if there is no change then your safe.

Wheh!!!!
cool thanks alot, i was sweating it,not sure what it cost to make beer down south but up here its around 50.00 a batch,so i was bumming,but cool im stoked again.
thanks for taking the time to reply.

epic501j said:
Wheh!!!!
cool thanks alot, i was sweating it,not sure what it cost to make beer down south but up here its around 50.00 a batch,so i was bumming,but cool im stoked again.
thanks for taking the time to reply.

Time for you to take the plunge to all grain (it's not hard, just time consumming and more pricy on equipment for startup) to get your ingredient prices down. A good extract brew did cost me about $40 to $50 CDN to brew but now doing all grain it costs around $10 to $12 CDN for a 5 gallon brew.:mug:

Back