Beerland TV show on Viceland Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched the third episode last night and it wasn't too bad. I wish they'd focus more on the process than trying to describe how the beer tastes (doesn't work on those food shows and doesn't work on this beer show). It's on Vice, so you know they're going to focus too much on the "lifestyle" of the brewer.

I think this show is really nothing more than a vessel to advertise for her brewery.

Enjoyed Episode 3 last night...

Meg definitely does not know how to surf. My son and I laughed at how she was concerned with the size of the waves and then that "take off" , ok your not a surfer just cause you tried it once in your past...and there was not even any Sharks... :rolleyes:

Since this is the only show we see pertaining to Home Brewing, I'll keep watching.

And if they ever come out with "American Iron Brewmaster", I'm all over that!

I can get behind that! American Iron Brewmaster (or something).

"But there's one more ingredient to our battle....our secret ingredient! The theme on which our brewers will offer their succulent libation. Today's secret ingredient is"......(music gets more intense)

(with heavy Japanese dialect....)

"EL DORADO!!!!"

"So now America, with an open heart and sober liver, I say unto you in the words of my uncle...."

(looks left to the pro brewer, intensely....then right to the home brewer, same intensity while music keeps building in intensity....)

"SOMETHING LOUD IN JAPANESE THAT MEANS "GO BREW!" (<-----Obviously, I do not know the Japanese translation for "Go Brew")

Put Alton Brown as the host, and I'd be all over that! :ban:

I just read about this show.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/golden-road-co-founder-star-new-viceland-series

First thought: Cool! A short series based around Homebrewing!

Second thought: Ugh. They hired the lady who sold Golden Road to InBev to be the host. That isn't very homebrewing like...

Anyway, I'll probably give it a shot. It is supposed to premier in April though I haven't found the date yet.

Third Thought: Wow. That seems to be the most Hipster network ever, looking at their other lists of shows. Doubt I'll be tuning in for any other shows there.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/beerland

Ill check out a episode tonight to see if its worth watching or not. Brew Dogs and Dogfish Head shows were my favorite from the past, lets see how it sums up tonight

Enjoyed Episode 3 last night...

Meg definitely does not know how to surf. My son and I laughed at how she was concerned with the size of the waves and then that "take off" , ok your not a surfer just cause you tried it once in your past...and there was not even any Sharks... :rolleyes:

Since this is the only show we see pertaining to Home Brewing, I'll keep watching.

And if they ever come out with "American Iron Brewmaster", I'm all over that!

She's obnoxious and a joke. I think she's ignorant as to how stuck up she sound since she lives in L.A. Her takeoff looked like someone's first day learning to surf at some groupon surf camp.

So golden road beer just made it to TN a few months ago. 6 pack cans go for 7.50. Standard craft sixers here are 8.99-10.99
I haven't tried it, both because, well, you get what you pay for and the distributors here suck at rotation and I refuse to buy IPA past 6 weeks old, 8 if cold.

So golden road beer just made it to TN a few months ago. 6 pack cans go for 7.50. Standard craft sixers here are 8.99-10.99
I haven't tried it, both because, well, you get what you pay for and the distributors here suck at rotation and I refuse to buy IPA past 6 weeks old, 8 if cold.

Of course the cheaper price is because they are owned now by abinbev. It will eventually be brewed at all of their large breweries across the country... along with Karbach, Elysian, Wicked Weed and the others they keep buying to control shelf space, taps and pricing...undercutting the small craft breweries.

My brother in law called me a week ago or so and said they were doing a series of shows on homebrewing. I quickly tuned in:

1) She is horrible. Deadpan "oh, this is really good" with zero emotion or expression.
2) She is really bad at engaging the brewers....all conversation is stilted, awkward and...just...odd.
3) I think they choose people based on who is the most odd character (out of the pool who are willing to be on the show), not on their brewing prowess. My wife walked into the room and said "Oh, you should try to get on the show". Not. On. Your. Life.
3) There's almost nothing about brewing. Diners, Drive-in and Dives has more cooking than this has brewing. This is a show for stoners, not brewers.
4) Viceland is a really strange channel...it looks like almost every other show is about weed.
5) I've had golden road beers and I've seen how the ones I haven't had rate on Untappd....she apparently is not a good brewer either. If Golden road is good beer in LA, I feel sorry for people who live there. WTF was Inbev thinking buying *that* brewery?

I won't be watching again.

Edited to add: If this seems like a scathing review...it can't possibly be construed as more negative than my actual opinion of the show.

I had to chuckle at your review, not that I disagree...but how much I do agree. When I first discovered the show I was pumped to discover a brewing program to relate with. After I watched the first episode, I felt I had missed the loving feeling i expected for a hobby that is rewarding to me personally. I had to laugh (with you) since I honestly think the lady brewer hosting the show was stoned while filming. Then she had to call up some guy to get his hoakie opinion...so how does he have any clue at all if he hasn't seen or tasted the beer? Get real.

Yeah, some will say you are a heretic for berating something as sacred as brewing, but hey, it is what it is. And this was a damn terrible depiction of home brewers. But a small redeeming factor is that there WAS beer involved.

My brother in law called me a week ago or so and said they were doing a series of shows on homebrewing. I quickly tuned in:

1) She is horrible. Deadpan "oh, this is really good" with zero emotion or expression.
2) She is really bad at engaging the brewers....all conversation is stilted, awkward and...just...odd.
3) I think they choose people based on who is the most odd character (out of the pool who are willing to be on the show), not on their brewing prowess. My wife walked into the room and said "Oh, you should try to get on the show". Not. On. Your. Life.
3) There's almost nothing about brewing. Diners, Drive-in and Dives has more cooking than this has brewing. This is a show for stoners, not brewers.
4) Viceland is a really strange channel...it looks like almost every other show is about weed.
5) I've had golden road beers and I've seen how the ones I haven't had rate on Untappd....she apparently is not a good brewer either. If Golden road is good beer in LA, I feel sorry for people who live there. WTF was Inbev thinking buying *that* brewery?

I won't be watching again.

Edited to add: If this seems like a scathing review...it can't possibly be construed as more negative than my actual opinion of the show.

I haven't seen the show but they put out a call to our homebrew club looking for participants. Definitely more interested in trying to find interesting people/places, etc. than anything about brewing itself if you judge by their email and questionnaire...

Back