Beeralchemy - adjusting gravity pre-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willjschmidt

Reaction score
I'm still dialing in my all-grain process so my efficiency has varied quite a bit. I'd like to use beeralchemy to adjust my gravity pre-boil so I end up hitting my target OG post-boil. I want to see how much malt extract I need to have if I am under or how much water to add if I'm over, in order to hit the target pre-boil gravity. Does beeralchemy do this, and if it does, could someone tell me how? Thanks!

If there is, I haven't found a way. But this has helped me understand how to do this:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=31009

There's a formulas in there that should help you - read it sober and well caffeinated :)

I took what I could and plugged it into a spreadsheet so I can just plug in the numbers and easily see how much DME to add, or how much to cut/lengthen my boil time, etc. I haven't figured out the dilution equation yet - so what I tend to do is add water to the kettle a couple quarts at a time and take readings until I'm close to my pre-boil target. Or I just decide to use the higher gravity and see how the beer turns out. In one case I was under, and instead of adding DME I just rolled with it and made a nice dry IPA that was probably the best beer I'd made to date.

Also, you'll need to know your volumes for accuracy - cheers!

Really? Can you please explain that feature - I could've used it on my last batch but didn't understand how to do it. I see a "water added to dilute" field within the batch editor, but it doesn't help/change the gravity readings.

That's the right feature. That listed amount of water, if added, would get you to your target gravity per the recipe. That is only for when you boil off too much and it drives the OG too high though, not for lost efficiency or over efficiency.

Back