Beer WONT carbonate whatsoever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
So, here's the whole story. Every time I bottle, I pour the last bit of the bucket in a mesh bag and squeeze the hell out of it, filling what I get in a 1.5L (50oz) soda bottle. The bottle is squeezed before capping to get the air out. This one usually turns out to be the best beer out of the brew, probably because of the extra hop aroma extraction due to the squeezing. This time though, the soda bottle wont carb. I'm used to seeing fill up with co2 within an hour or two. This time it's the same for 2 weeks. I tried shaking it, adding in more yeast, adding in more sugar. Nothing changed. This batch was a Milkshake IPA made by racking half of a Neipa batch onto new wort and then again on passion fruit puree. I made two starters prior to the Neipa, so the bottle carbing should be fermentation number 6 for the yeast since it came out of the fridge. I used WLP644 and WY1318 together in this batch, like I usually do for my NEIPAs. Do you think the yeast was stressed too much after all this? Another thing to mention was that there was quite a bit of squeezing during the mashing as well. To specify, after filtering my malt, I threw in quite a bit of flaked oats (25% in total) and mashed them in the wort, until squeezing the grain bag to the point of getting a batter out of them which was added in the kettle and eventually, most of it in this same soda bottle, making a very peculiar looking trub in it. Do you think this batter could be killing my yeast? Sorry for the long post. It's just that I'm trying to troubleshoot and I thought you should have the whole story.
PS: Another thing to mention is that I added a bit of Potassium Metabisulfite in the soda bottle to get rid of the oxygen that was introduced in the process. At first I though this killed off my yeast, but now I don't think so, as adding more yeast after a few days didn't help one bit.

I believe it did. I say believe as there is no head at all (I blame the oil from the oats), but the beer feels a lot like orangeade.
The problem is that I don't think the yeast is viable, as I would have shown signs of carbonation by now, like it always does. I should maybe take a photo of the trub, which is very very peculiar looking.

A pinch. Would it matter anyway, as a few days later I added more yeast?
Definitely maybe. If you added too much it could certainly inhibit the yeast.
It's HIGHLY recommended that you use a scale to measure sulfite. The typical dosage is 20-50ppm, that's about 0.060 to 0.150 grams in your 1.5L bottle, perhaps less than a "pinch".

Next question: did you add priming sugar to the bottle?

Definitely maybe. If you added too much it could certainly inhibit the yeast.
It's HIGHLY recommended that you use a scale to measure sulfite. The typical dosage is 20-50ppm, that's about 0.060 to 0.150 grams in your 1.5L bottle, perhaps less than a "pinch".

Next question: did you add priming sugar to the bottle?

I did. 8g at first, then 10g after I saw that it wouldn't carbonate.
Even if the sulfites inhibited the yeast, why would the repitched yeast be inhibited?

Sulfite doesn't go away if the container is sealed.

There's no other obvious reason why it wouldn't carbonate unless the bottle leaks.

I opened it twice, once to add in more sugar and another time to add in more yeast, so the sulfites had a way of escaping. Also, I don't understand how sulfites work. They stun the yeast, does this mean that the yeast will unfreeze after a few days of being stunned? The bottle has A LOT of trub, consisting of oat batter. Could this be the cause somehow? Also, I don't think the bottle leaks, as I am not able to push it any more with force.

Last edited:
I think your pinch of Potassium Metabisulfite has definitely a fault in your lack of carbonation. A pinch can easily mean more than 1 gr, which is about 10 times more than you should use.

You should have had plenty of yeast left to bottle carbonate. Also, trub does not inhibit the yeasts' ability to ferment or carbonate beer, by eating the sugars available.

Back