Beer with Pecan flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I Have a bunch of pecan wood that I would like to try in beer. I am just not sure how you would do it. How would you implement a pecan flavor in your beer properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use pecans... doubt the wood tastes much like the nuts...!

He-heh... hey Bevis... he-heh... he said 'nuts'..!

But I heard if you use pecans, the oils from the pecans extract into the beer and could possibly spoil the beer.

The oil is where the flavor is. The head retention will suffer, but it will be drinkable beer. They make drinkable bacon beer and doubt it's a fat free beverage.

The other alternative is a pecan flavor extract.

I've never done it, but I'd lightly roast the pecans, crush them and let them soak in the secondary. Try experimental stuff on a small scale first. Take a gallon of your next beer and let it sit on some pecans.

I know I posted this in another thread, but I toasted a bunch of pecan wood in the oven, then added it to a jar with pecans, vanilla beans, and rye whiskey.
The wood is going into a barleywine next year.

image-2557193330.jpg

the oil is where the flavor is. The head retention will suffer, but it will be drinkable beer. They make drinkable bacon beer and doubt it's a fat free beverage.

The other alternative is a pecan flavor extract.

I've never done it, but i'd lightly roast the pecans, crush them and let them soak in the secondary. Try experimental stuff on a small scale first. Take a gallon of your next beer and let it sit on some pecans.

+1

my buddy did a pecan porter a while back, it had a great pecan flavor. He emailed me his procedure:

nickmv:
Be VERY careful with the roasting. I F'd it up the first time. You might want to lower it from 400F to like 375 or 380, as you can easily burn them accidentally. After each roast, store them in a paper lunch bag, let cool, and crush them up a good bit. I'd also recommend knocking down the black malt and possibly eliminating the chocolate completely. It seems too heavy on those.

Pecans were toasted at 300F for 10 minutes in a single layer, then poured into a paper bag to sit out overnight, hopefully getting some of the oils out of them. Pecans were roasted 10 minutes at 400F till slightly smoking. Poured into another paper bag.
Pecans were finally roasted for 10 more minutes at 350F for about 8 minutes, again, just until slightly smoking.
Between each roast, I used a flat-style crowbar and smashed as many whole nuts as I could in order to expose the maximum amount of surface area.

edit: I'm adding pecans to a barleywine next week, and I'm putting him in charge of this.

There aren't many commercial pecan beers, but this one gets some good reviews.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/512-pecan-porter/94179/

I can vouch for this one. (512) is a small local brewery here in Austin and only sold through restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc or my fridge would be stocked with it. The pecan lends itself very well to the robust porter and is lighter than wood chips would be.

I'm a noob to home brewing and the site...
I had a pecan beer (OK a few of them) while working near Las Cruces, NM 5 months ago, I've been looking for a pecan beer ever since.
A local store was selling a "Home Brew Kit", makes 2 gallons. The enclosed HME was just a regular "light beer". Table sugar was added to the bottle for carbonation. That batch turned out better than I imagined, so I made a second.
The amount of table sugar I added to a bottle was about 6 grams of sugar. I found a pecan waffle syrup that had corn syrup, water, and natural pecan flavoring. 1 tablespoon of the syrup had 6 grams of sugars.
I experimented with using half the table sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of the syrup and a full tablespoon of syrup.
After the 2nd fermentation was complete, we tried them, both had a good head and carbonation.
The bottles with 1/2 & 1/2 , had almost no pecan flavor.
The bottles that had a full tablespoon of the syrup, had a definite pecan flavor but it was very mild and more prevalent when the beer had warmed a little.

The next batch will have bottles with 2, 2-1/2 and 3 tablespoon of syrup bottles, all with no table sugar.
I have no idea what to expect, but I'll know for sure in a month.

The next batch will have bottles with 2, 2-1/2 and 3 tablespoon of syrup bottles, all with no table sugar.
I have no idea what to expect, but I'll know for sure in a month.

I only did 2 & 3 tablespoons...

A 2 tablespoon bottle had pecan flavor, but not as strong as I hoped.

A 3 tablespoon bottle had more pecan flavor, but quite a bit of settiment on the bottom.

Before trying the 2nd 3 tablespoon bottle, I shook the bottle (yeah I know) waited a few then poured it. It had aroma, and great pecan taste.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Sam Adams makes a Maple Pecan Porter that I've only ever found in their Christmas/Winter sampler. It is quite good and I believe there is a clone recipe on this site for it.

Back