Beer type effecting sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
Just bottled my first big beer, a stout. After 3 or 4 days i noticed a lot more sediment in the bottles then usual. Probably about twice as much. It sat in primary for about a month. Do bigger beers generally leave more sediment or did i just stir up more yeast then normal because of poor bottling technique?

You should only get a small yeast layer from typical bottle conditioning. It seems like you may have gotten some yeast from the transfer in the bottles. It should all settle out and not affect the beer at all though.

What is your bottling technique?

Different yeasts are going to react differently with different grainbills, and some yeast are more flocculant than other. Some beers will have more bottle sediment than others.

With month long primaries I tend not to get a lot of sediment most time. But some beers are different.

Is it an all grain stout? Roasted grains will get more powdery when milled, and can take longer to settle out. If the sediment layer is darker than usual, this could be part of the answer.

it was the AHS double choc stout extract. Cant remember off the toip of my head what grains were steeped.

No two ferments are the same, but I suspect yeast type is a much bigger variable than beer type. Sometimes the same yeast fermented at different temperatures have a difference in flocculation.

Give it more time in the fermenter and you will get very little in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back