Beer TOO light in color??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I'm a little bothered by the color of my beer in the primary. I did a 60 min IPA clone, and it just looks too light to me. Maybe I'm panicking?
XGcFo.jpg

Am i over reacting?

Here's what i brewed:

Extract recipe:
DFH clone
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.8 IBU

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

8 lbs Pale Dry Extract
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min)
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min)

The only difference between this beer and the others I've brewed was I tried DME instead of LME. I feel as though I'm far below 13.1 SRM. more around the 9-10 area if not lower. Also, I boiled a little more than 2.5 gallons. more along the lines of 2.75 to 3 gallons. any thoughts or ideas?

Dont worry. Many of the best IPA recipes use less crystal or are designed for SRM around 8.

Does it reduce other things? Flavors or anything? Or is it just a color issue?

picture doesn't work for me. Upload it to imgur.com or something, it'll give you an easy link so you can post it in the forum.

I just brewed this yesterday as an AG batch (13lb 2row/6oz Amber Malt). It's not quite the same recipe but I can take a picture of my carboy later today to compare.

Having the batch be 10-20% large would probably account for a 10-20% reduction in color...

That was how much of the batch that was boiled, not the entire batch. The same ingredients in a 2 1/2 gallons diluted to 5 gallons or 3 gallons diluted to 5 gallons would result in virtually identical beers.

A single pound of C40 in a 5 gallon batch with light dry malt extract is going to yield a beer that is a light orangey-amber... Someone mentioned 8 srm as not being uncommon for this kind of beer, I agree and I think this recipe would be in that ballpark

The beer is supposed to be fairly light colored. But remember that it's not clear yet, and so lots of yeast is suspended in it and yeast is white. It'll look a bit darker as it clears.

... remember that it's not clear yet, and so lots of yeast is suspended in it and yeast is white. It'll look a bit darker as it clears.

Good point, you will typically see a beer appear to darken as the yeast flocs out. Even stouts can look like coffee with cream when there is mass amounts of yeast in suspension

Good point, you will typically see a beer appear to darken as the yeast flocs out. Even stouts can look like coffee with cream when there is mass amounts of yeast in suspension

the amber ale i just did was EXACTLY as the above. looked like it had milk in it. then as it seperated out you could see the dark clear portion.

I'm starting to see the color darken. Being I'm still new at all this I always seem to panic first. I racked to the secondary yesterday and racked off a bit to a cup. Tasted amazing. Now I got the dry hops soaking... patience isn't one of my strong points.

I forgot to take a picture of mine. I'll do it tonight. But mine looks very close to yours from my memory. I wouldn't worry.

Back