Beer to high in ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tszetela

Reaction score
I brewed my traditional summertime wheat and my OG was high at 6.8 and it finished at .4 (before I added the dregs from a Jolly Pumpkin!). I knew I should have added a gal to bring up the volume after I put it in the fermentor and saw I only had 9 gallons but I had kid duty and forgot. So now I have 4 gal finished in the keg (the rest is "developing” with the beasties from the J.P.) and I am wondering what would happen if I added a gallon of water to bring down the abv. Would I Dilute the flavor too much? And do I need to boil the water first to drive out the O2 and all the crap in tap water? Or should I just accept the fact my lawnmower beer is not fit for consumption when power tools are involved?

I had this happen to me recently. I boiled a bit too much and had a higher SG than I wanted. I would have topped off preferment but was too tired to care at that point. I thought about adding it post fermentation but I didn't want to mess it up.
If you do add some water make sure to boil about 5 min. It will water down the flavor some but it could put it where it should be anyways.

Latest posts

Back