Beer Thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started using one and I like it. Just make sure it's sanitized before dipping it in the wort. I also sanitize my hydro and return my samples when I finish taking a reading.

Would brew without it. Simple and easy to use. Biggest challenge is reading hydrometer after filling it. I shake mine up and down to fill to float my hydrometer. Have to wiggle it around to get an accurate reading.

ShepFL said:
Would brew without it. Simple and easy to use. Biggest challenge is reading hydrometer after filling it. I shake mine up and down to fill to float my hydrometer. Have to wiggle it around to get an accurate reading.

Would or wouldn't? Just making sure that's not a typo.

I have one of these and I don't care for it. It drips quite a bit, at least mine does. I ended up buying a stainless turkey baster. It works way better for me. The thief is longer though in case you have like 3 or 4 gallons in a 6.5 carboy it can reach it whereas the baster can't.

I ended up buying a stainless turkey baster. It works way better for me. The thief is longer though in case you have like 3 or 4 gallons in a 6.5 carboy it can reach it whereas the baster can't.

+1 for the SS turkey baster. I got one last weekend and it works like a charm.

Cheers :mug:

I have one of these and I don't care for it. It drips quite a bit, at least mine does. I ended up buying a stainless turkey baster. It works way better for me. The thief is longer though in case you have like 3 or 4 gallons in a 6.5 carboy it can reach it whereas the baster can't.

Yea i dont use my thief for taking anything out now. The problem i have is sticking it all the way in a 5 gallon carboy or 8 gallon bucket(with 5 gals inside) it does not get enough liquid to actually float the hydrometer.

So i h ave to use it, drain it into a cup, fill the thief again, then pour my previous ones from the cup in the top...its pretty annoying.

I was seriously considering buying one to add to my equipment... until I realized this weekend while brewing that the larger cylinder of an auto-siphon is essentially a thief. Sanitize, stick it into the wort for a second or two until you see the inside filled up to the wort level, then lift it out. It drips just a very little, so I place a towel where it will drip until I can flip it and pour into the hydrometer jar.

I'd never return the sample back to the fermenter after reading- it's been exposed to quite a bit of oxygen, plus I use that sample as a tasting sample as well.

I was seriously considering buying one to add to my equipment... until I realized this weekend while brewing that the larger cylinder of an auto-siphon is essentially a thief. Sanitize, stick it into the wort for a second or two until you see the inside filled up to the wort level, then lift it out. It drips just a very little, so I place a towel where it will drip until I can flip it and pour into the hydrometer jar.

I'd never return the sample back to the fermenter after reading- it's been exposed to quite a bit of oxygen, plus I use that sample as a tasting sample as well.

I've also seen people just shake it up and down and fill the tube.

I'm going to try the auto siphon. I have the hardest time deciding what to buy. I don't want cheap crap. I'd rather spend the extra money up front and get a good product.

The purpose of the wine thief is also to take hydrometer readings. Most are wide enough to fit your hydrometer right into it. So you dip it, your hydrometer rises, you take a reading, you dump it. In theory atleast, its never that easy for me.

I use one of these when I need to extract a sample. The only other thing I would use is either my glass wine thief (for mead) or get a LONG stainless turkey baster. The 3 piece beer thief is long enough that you can do less pulls to get enough to take a hydrometer reading (and/or taste sample). Plus, the 3 piece comes apart for super easy cleaning (every nook and cranny) and sanitizing. Stores easily tool.

I don't use mine much other than taking some wort out for an OG reading but I still like to have it around.
I think I used it in a wort that has been fermenting for the first time the other day.
I've got a pumpkin ale that is clarifying in a carboy and wanted to taste it.
For checking gravity while waiting for it to be done fermenting, a refractometer eliminates the need to take such a large sample.

Back