Beer tastes a little sour and sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckee1184

Reaction score
The past couple brews I have mad have turned out a little "funky". I would say there is a very sweet taste and its a little sour at times. I thoroughly sanitized everything during the brewing and fermenting process. My keg was cleaned and sanitized as well. It has been a little while since I did a deep clean/sanitize on the keg, like taking everything apart and soaking it in star-san.

Do you guys think this is a sanitary issue or could it be something else?

Hard to know without knowing more details...

In this latest example...
What kind of beer?
Have you ever done a type of sour beer with this equipment?
Walk us through your process, from start to finish.
Walk us through the fermentation - times, temps, yeast, etc.

Without more details, it could be a number of things. If you've brewed sours and didn't clean well enough, you could have gotten cross contamination. Sanitizing and cleaning are different. You can't just sanitize everything, it has to be cleaned with like a PBW or Oxyclean or something like that, and only then can you sanitize.

Provide us as much information as you can and we can try and help.

You may have dirty lines in your kegerator or a dirty spigot as well. If not cleaned frequently they can be unpleasant in a beer

What are you cleaning with?

I’d classify sweet as a recipe design or fermentation issue. Sour can indicate a possible infection though.

From my experience, this is probably due to temp issues and stressed yeast. Sounds estery to me. Sometimes though it’ll dissipate a bit so it’s not as noticeable. There are great websites listing all the off flavors that a beer might have and the reasons why. Check it out and keep brewing. [emoji106][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Back