Beer taste dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopFart

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch woo! Abv was only 4.6 which kinda sux but I tasted it and it tasted pretty dry after bottle condition can fix this? Also will it raise the abv at all due to a small amount of fermentation in bottle?

It might raise ABV a little if you bottle condition, but it is probably a negligible amount. Did you do all-grain, and if so, what temperature did you mash? Another thing that will dry out the beer is if there are a lot of simple sugars in the recipe like corn or cane sugar.

No liquid extract very simple recipe, I did steep grains I think a little too long, 45min?

Hit 170 then took off burner and put ing grains, also might have put to much pressure on the grains, do tannins make a dry taste?

If you removed from heat at 170 then added the grains, the temp should have dropped a few degrees. Probably not hot enough to extract tannins.

Squeezing the grains won't add tannins, but high temps will. The off-flavor from that is astringent, sort of a cardboard-like or tea-bag taste. It can be confused with dryness.

Oxidation can create a similar off-flavor. Did you accidentally mix in some air while racking or perhaps stirred a bit too vigorously when mixing in priming sugar?

You made beer, all will be fine.

Need FG and OG to say if there is a problem. Then next will be recipe. I have made 4.6% abv ales which have been fine.

So I just bottled my first batch woo! Abv was only 4.6 which kinda sux but I tasted it and it tasted pretty dry after bottle condition can fix this? Also will it raise the abv at all due to a small amount of fermentation in bottle?

No worries - bitterness perception changes after carbonation :mug:

4 oz of corn sugar (dextrose) adds about 0.3% ABV (in 5 gallons)

Back