Beer suggestions in New York City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djelemenohpee

Reaction score
hi all,

I'm from San francisco and ill be heading to New York City next week and wanted to see if anyone knew of any great beers out there that i can't get back at home. Im looking to bring cans/bottles back with me for a beer exchange with friends. so if anyone knows of any great bottle shops or breweries that sell their wears that would be great! I'm staying in the gramercy park area if that helps.
or
If anyone wants to trade beers from The san francisco bay area that might be able to work too.

Thanks

You'll be near the Ginger Man so check that out but for my money you can't beat the Pony Bar. The taps rotate quickly and most of it is local. The staff ought to be able to tell you what is available in bottles.

Both good suggestions. Other bar recommendations in that area - Taproom No 307, Little Town NYC (all local NY taps)

For bottle shops, I'd head downtown. The Bowery Whole Foods has a good selection. Around the corner from there is New Beer Distributor, which also has a great selection. Top Hops is a few blocks over from there, and they have rotating taps and bottles to go as well.

It's not a bottle shop, but don't miss a trip to Torst in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, home of Evil Twin and many unique drafts and bottles.

Bottle shops in Manhattan will be limited for stuff that is worth bringing back, though the two mentioned above (Whole Foods Bowery and New Beer) are probably your best bets. You may also want to check out Beer Culture in Midtown West which doubles as a bar but also sells all of their bottles to go (for about 1/3 of the price). You'll be a close walk to Pony Bar West, as well, which is a great spot as someone mentioned.

Also, if you spend some time in Brooklyn (for Torst or anything else), don't miss all of the new breweries that have popped up lately. Other Half Brewing has received a lot of press, but there's also a bunch of smaller outfits started by some of the best homebrewers in the area -- within blocks of Torst you'll find Greenpoint Ale (at Dirck the Norseman) and Keg & Lantern.

Other new homebrew-inspired endeavors are Threes Brewing in Brooklyn, Finn Back in Queens, and Transmitter Brewing in Long Island City.

Have a great trip! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any other specifics.

Second for fitting in a trip to Other Half, their tasting room isn't super
impressive but it's a cozy spot and they just started canning so might be able to pick up some to take with.

I live pretty close to Singlecut in Queens and that's a fun place with a great tasting room on the weekends they have food trucks park outside and bands playing

Transmitter is also a good option they have bottles too.

Enjoy your trip! Can't really go wrong with any of the above recommendations

Back