beer style questions - kolsch and scotch ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l1ranger

Reaction score
looking to expand my beer knowledge and in an attempt to discover styles that my girlfriend will also enjoy I tried these over the last weekend.
I asked the guy at the beer store for suggestions on kolsch and scotch ales and he pointed me to reissdorf and founders dirty bastard.

the foundres was great, I thought, and the g/f didnt like it. she's kinda wimpy when it comes to beer, but I love big in your face beers and i thought this qualified quite well. the only other scotch ale I've had is sam adams, and it was fair. i understand that there are different 'levels' of scotch ales, but are these pretty indicative of what to expect with others?

the reissdorf she really liked - in fact, I only got about half a glass and she drank all the other 7.5 beers. I mean she really liked it.
however, i thought it was a bit lacking on some accounts. somewhat comparable to a american style lager with a little extra hop bitterness, atleast the my tastebuds at the time. is this indicitave of the style, or should i expect much better if i were to attempt a kolsch on my own?

I've never had that paticular Kolsch, but yes, in general, they are lighter beers somewhat reminiscent of light lagers. In fact, they are usually brewed with mostly pils malt, fermented with neutral ale yeast (sometimes at lower temps), then lagered. I really enjoyed brewing a kolsch last year, but it is by no means a big in your face beer.

If she liked the kolsch, I'd also suggest trying some Hefeweizens, American Wheats and even simpler Pale Ales out on her. I'm assuming the guy suggested Scotch Ale for her since most new beer drinkers are pretty averse to bitterness.

I've had the Reissdorf Kolsch a bunch of times and really like it. Kolsch is basically a very clean, lagered ale that is pretty close to a lager.

Scotch Ale also is quite good. I've got my first homebrewed batch winding down fermentation right now 10 feet away from me :)

Some good commercial examples of Scotch Ale are McEwan's and Bellhaven. The McEwan's is darker and a little more roasty and viscus. Bellhaven is beautifully clean, sweet and flowery. Both are delicious.

the beer store guy suggested the styles I asked for. i thought she might enjoy the scottish ales as they seem to be generally less hoppy and she is not a big fan of hops.

so far, she's enjoyed the kolsch and some english ales, old speckled hen, bass and boddingtons.

im guessin the foudners dirty bastard would be closer to a wee heavy and maybe a 60/ might be closer to enjoyable for someone such as her?

im guessin the foudners dirty bastard would be closer to a wee heavy and maybe a 60/ might be closer to enjoyable for someone such as her?

Possible but you never know. Everybody has different tastes so what you may call the most glorious beer on the planet someone else will call swill or just garbage. You could try a 60 and see if she likes it but knowing that she likes kolsch I would stay on that side and slowly move her in the direction of others. Maybe have her try a hefe or a blonde and see how she likes those.

Try a Belgian ale or French Saison. That sounds like it would fit in to they styles she seems to enjoy. Hennepin is always a good choice, but ask your "beer store guy" what he has.

Dirty Bastard would be a Scotch Ale, or a Wee Heavy. A Scottish Ale, or a "60" might fit her better.

Sometimes it's not a matter of malty or bitter, but more a matter of how much. That may be why she liked the lighter beer. It's neither too malty, nor to bitter. I love hops, but I prefer my hops flavor, rather than hops bitterness. Not a big fan of most very malty beer. If it's a big beer, I'd rather it be slightly bitter, but prefer a balanced beer. Many people don't care for big beers at all, or beers with too much of anything.

Sounds like you're at a pretty good store. If they had the Reissdorf they'll probably have the Gaffel Kolsch as well. I've had both on tap several times and have always preferred the almost cereal like maltiness of the Gaffel more. I have no idea how it stands up bottled, but its worth trying.

Oskar Blues Old Chub is a pretty good Scottish style ale.

the store did have a good selection. they also had a small bar on the other side, but I didn't see any options on tap, though they had a few towers. unfortunately, the store is in OH and Im down here in VA again.

She is on her way down today and is going to stop by weaselboy and hopefully pick me up a growler of something tasty.

Back