Beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As a beginner I have found that I need to store my beer longer than the 3 weeks for the best taste. What methods do you use to store your batches? Should I just make some wood rack that I can stack?

For those that are just reading this post and not the rest of the thread please note that Old cardboard cases are not going to work for me. Those that are shocked remember if we all homebrewed the same there would only be one flavor of beer and that would suck.

h22lude I mean after bottling.
atom unfortunately I noticed my beer cardboard boxes get a little wet after cleaning the bottles and they do not hold up well. Also it is hard to find good beer that comes in full cases.
I'm looking for a uniform way to help save with space that can be used over and over.

Keep your eye out for empty milk crates, you can find them in the trash or some stores throw them out. I have all my bottles in them they are great cause they stack well

C w crate makes plastic cases that look and act a lot like cardboard ones, but they are waterproof and much, much tougher than cardboard. They are sized for 16 or 22 ounce bottles. They are a little spendy at $15 a box, but I really love them and they last forever, so I justify it as a convenience.

I use milk crates which stack and each can hold one case of beers in half the footprint of any beercase plastic or cardboard. And they stack to high heaven.

181316_10150091021744067_620469066_6196013_3815685_n.jpg

Finding milk crates are tough since places aren't supposed to throw them out and it is illegal to take them

$22 for ONE milk crate? Sweet jesus, I should have saved all my crate furniture from college, could have sold them and made a bunch...

Looks like milk creates are what most use. Since I've just started I've got a long list of things to buy first. I'll try recycling some left over wood I have and make some for now.
Thank you all for the input.

There are some instructions here for wooden crates that look pretty nice. I'm hoping to make some once I have access to a table saw.

1. put beer in empty beer case boxes.

2. stack cases in a closet.

genius! :mug:

I use milk crates which stack and each can hold one case of beers in half the footprint of any beercase plastic or cardboard. And they stack to high heaven.

181316_10150091021744067_620469066_6196013_3815685_n.jpg

oh man, even better?! :mug:

sorry, the OP struck me as asking the obvious.

@ the OP, shelves are a great idea, as are stackable boxes. really, it's up to you where and how to store your beer, my guess is the method that you use to store many other things in the home will apply to beer storage. just avoid light, high temps, and temperature fluctuation. i store my beer in case boxes from the liquor store, on a shelf, in my basement with a 60-65 degree year round temp.

LevelTime thank you. That's fits my needs much better and I think wood creates look nicer too. I've also got to remember to please the wife or the proper sized stash wouldn't fly.

h22lude I mean after bottling.
atom unfortunately I noticed my beer cardboard boxes get a little wet after cleaning the bottles and they do not hold up well. Also it is hard to find good beer that comes in full cases.
I'm looking for a uniform way to help save with space that can be used over and over.

I use bud and miller cardboard boxes, i get them free from a bar i know.

Why don't you just let the bottles dry before putting them in the box?

yeah really dont put wet bottles inside the cardboard box. Get some beer cases and tape the crap out of them. Stack them up, problem solved. Seriously, who is going to spend 15 or 22 dollars to house 1 case of beer. Thats just ahh not smart

For those that are just reading the first post and not the rest of the thread please note that Old cardboard cases are not going to work for me.

Those that are shocked remember if we all homebrewed the same there would only be one flavor of beer and that would suck:mug:

I use cardboard boxes and, probably like every other person that does, dry the bottles before putting them in the box. They're incredibly cheap and work great!

I've seen plastic beer cases sold online too, but can't see spending that kind of money when I can get the cardboard for free.

For those that are just reading the first post and not the rest of the thread please note that Old cardboard cases are not going to work for me.

Those that are shocked remember if we all homebrewed the same there would only be one flavor of beer and that would suck.

Which do you have more of, time or money?

More time = make a wooden crate that does what you want.

More money = buy something that does what you want.

I just got some plywood and built 2W by 2L by 1H boxes. Then I routed out hand holds to make easy to carry. But you can make them anyway you want. I plan to make better ones with dividers in the summer time.

Boerderij_Kabouter those filing cabinets are a great way to keep the room looking clean.
Latamir I too have some extra wood laying around and plan on making a couple. I think I will start with one I can use as a bottle dryer/storage.

+1 on the filing cabinet. Been using it for a few years now and it works great. Each drawer holds 5 gallons/50'ish 12oz bottles. It doesn't let light in and it was 10 bucks.

Don't buy the plastic filing crates at Walmart. They are horrible quality and the bottom will warp down when you put bottles in it.

I generally use regular cases. I went to a craft bottle shop once and they were breaking down all their boxes for recycling out back...ended up taking 10 cases (could've had 50+ if I could carry them).

I have read the old thread and I do my best to make sure to dry off all bottles prior to putting in boxes but as you mentioned for some reason this wont work for you. I know that you can get large rubbermaid storage bins that are a solid color which may work for you so that you can stack them in a closet and you wont have to worry about light getting to them.

I just buy Sam Adams by the case...then i get the old box and as a bonus i get all the bottles since they are pop tops and not twist offs. of course once i have enough bottle and storage i will no longer require buying any beer from the store...only 4 more cases to buy! :tank:

Back