Beer Smith versus Brewers friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
so I have just started ( 8 weeks) doing a 1 gal BIAB SMaSH ( experimenting with hops. So I am going with the notion of trying to keep my numbers the same on the bitterness) I was using Brewers friend to try to keep the IBUs close. But as of recently I have upgraded my kettle and plan on doing 5 gal BIAB and figured I should get some software. Since I notice a lot of folks use beer Smith, along with the idea of a 1 time fee versus a annual fee. So I have I put my my SMaSH receipes in, and I have noticed some difference, a lot of differences. With beer Smith I have started my equipment profiles and my mash profile the best that I can. Any explanation for maybe the difference would be appreciated.

Example with using Fuggle.

Brewers friend. Beer Smith
ABV. 5.14. 4.6
OG. 1.052. 1.047
FG. 1.013. 1.012
SRM. 3.59. 2.9
IBU. 32.74. 25.1

There are different methods of calculating ibus, you probably want to make sure both programs are set to use a common method.
As for the gravity differences, those are rather large differences in OG that suggest the BS2 equipment profile needs tuning.
No idea why the color is so different...

Cheers!

now I have only used the free version of Brewers friend, so no equipment profile was set up. Since I am thinking of going with Beer Smith, i have been trying to fill out all the info, equipment profile, mash profile. So I am not sure if that will make a difference or not. I'm sure it will, but not sure on how much of a difference. I am still using beer smith under the 21 day trial, I am still in the deciding position of what to go with.

I feel the BS2 learning curve is steep, but worth the struggle. It's all about the equipment profile. If you get that dialed in - which likely will take a couple/few brews - from that point on one can consistently nail predicted results...

Cheers!

You may be using different versions of the same grain in each program, which could account for the color differences.

Your best bet is to choose one of the programs and work with that program until it accurately mimics your outcomes. Trying to get both to give you the same answer every time will drive you nuts as there are so many different variables which can change the predicted outcome. I will second day_trippr's comment that it does take some time to tune BeerSmith to your process, but once you do it does a great job at predictions.

Would be best for me to use one program ( right now 8 am Lea I * forwards brew Smith) and then kick off my expermits/ SMaSH?

It is almost imperative in Beersmith to set up your profiles accurately. Even Brad Smith who wrote Beersmith says the profiles that come with the software are just guidelines and urges users to take their own measurements... even if your system is listed in the default settings.

While Brad at Beersmith does provide some tutorials, I have found that the videos from Brulosophy are very easy to follow.

Equipment Profile:

BIAB Mash Profile:

And one more equipment profile tutorial from another source:

I've been using beersmith for years but I'm thinking of switching to brewer's friend for two reasons.

The biggest reason is that I don't like being tied to one computer. I literally use my personal laptop for nothing but BS these days. I use BS mobile and cloud, too, but many of the features are only on the computer--inventory for example. I also don't think the equipment profiles sync, so building recipes is a bit of a hassle.

The second reason is that I'm not crazy about how BS deals with water--both salts and PH. I use Bru'n water for that, which is great, but I'd rather use one program and it another thing that ties me to my computer. Do people find that the water additions and ph stuff in brewer's friend is accurate?

I've been using beersmith for years but I'm thinking of switching to brewer's friend for two reasons.

The biggest reason is that I don't like being tied to one computer. I literally use my personal laptop for nothing but BS these days. I use BS mobile and cloud, too, but many of the features are only on the computer--inventory for example. I also don't think the equipment profiles sync, so building recipes is a bit of a hassle.

The second reason is that I'm not crazy about how BS deals with water--both salts and PH. I use Bru'n water for that, which is great, but I'd rather use one program and it another thing that ties me to my computer. Do people find that the water additions and ph stuff in brewer's friend is accurate?

I run BS on a desktop-computer. I remote into it from my brewery-computer or if I'm at the lhbs getting some supplies for the next brew. I threw away the idea of using sync/cloud and BS mobile just because you have to copy things to the cloud and functions are lacking on the mobile, it was just a hassle. But if I remote into it it's like sitting in front of it, can do it by phone too. But this means the computer has to be on at home.

For water its Bru'n'Water. the spreadsheets are on the cloud so noe problem accessing them.

Don’t know if anyone allready said anyrhing about it, but og dif may be beacuase of different masheffeciency settings? Otherwise thay may use differnt types of calculation.

If you want you can also check out how calculation is done at beerlad,com. Just released it and would really want some feedback

I take it all back. I signed up for brewer's friend and played around some. While there are some things I really like, I'd miss some of the beersmith functionality.

I think I go through this every year when my BS cloud is up for renewal. I always end up back with BS.

I take it all back. I signed up for brewer's friend and played around some. While there are some things I really like, I'd miss some of the beersmith functionality.

I think I go through this every year when my BS cloud is up for renewal. I always end up back with BS.

Do you mind if I ask which features you'd miss? I'm debating between these two, as well. The single machine nature + hideous UI of BeerSmith2 is pretty close to insurmountable -- if Brewer's Friend can give me what I'm likely to need.

I've been going back and forth between Brewers Friend and Beersmith. I like the ease of use of Brewers Friend and how quickly I can set things up, put together recipes, etc. I also like you can track your brew day as you go, and they have lists of things to remember to do (which is a godsend). I finally got the hang of BeerSmith and I like what it does for Full Volume mashing for my 2 Kettle Rims System. With Beersmith, I found that there are so many area's that you can go into, open, enter settings, info, etc and I sometimes forget how to get back to whatever screen I was just at. I think I watched Brulosophy's video on beersmith a good 5 times.

I use the free version of brewers friend...
I've dialed in my equipment profiles for the two setups I use and it gives pretty accurate OG predictions. I find it really easy to use.
I'm not sure what features I'm missing and I'd like to know more.

Back