Beer smith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I just started experimenting with beer smith and was wondering of the batch size is your final batch size? or The batch size plus what you are losing in the fermenter?

It doesn't include losses in the fermentor. It is the amount bottled.

Though I could be wrong. When you hover over it, it says amount into the fermenter...

Which is strange because there is another field called Measured Batch Size.

It is NOT the amount bottled. It is what you expect to put into your fermenter. You will lose 1-3 qts in your fermenter.

It doesn't include losses in the fermentor. It is the amount bottled.

Though I could be wrong. When you hover over it, it says amount into the fermenter...

Which is strange because there is another field called Measured Batch Size.

There is estimated batch size and measured batch size. Estimated is what you should yield into the fermenter based on the recipe, measured is what actually goes into the fermenter after trub loss. It all figures into the overall efficiency calculation.

Thanks for the responses. Iam just a little confused because when you change the value to. 5.5 gallons none of the other values change.

Kinda stupid isn't it?

There is a couple things that change though. You looking to scale a recipe?

..Iam just a little confused because when you change the value to. 5.5 gallons none of the other values change.

When you change batch size, the following values change (that I can see):
Est Pre Boil Gravity
Est Original Gravity
Bitterness
Color
Est ABV
Pre Boil Volume
Sparge Volume
Est Calories
Total Water Needed

Back