Beer smith pitching rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkavitch

Reaction score
Why does beer smith say i need to pitch 51 packets of wyeast for a 1.050 beer?

Even the wyeast website says 1 pack (100 billion cells) good up to 1.060, and i think they would love to sell me 50 packs.

I'd like to see more options in the starter section, period. Right now the only starter prep option is 'using a stir plate'. The 'occasional shaking' option in the Mr Malty Pitching Calculator would be very welcome.

Beersmith has a habit of defaulting to 2-3 year old yeast packages, so it's making that calculation assuming something like 3-4% viability. If you set the yeast packaging date to something more realistic (0.5-2 months old), the pitching rate will look less ridiculous.

Is there any way to set a default viability date or do you just have to make sure you change it every time? There has to be a better default than Feb 2011. Something like (current date) - (1 month) or something?

29thfloor said:
Is there any way to set a default viability date or do you just have to make sure you change it every time? There has to be a better default than Feb 2011. Something like (current date) - (1 month) or something?

Because it is a fixed program and not a web based program you need to change the date manually, it does not update upon opening like a web based program can.

william_shakes_beer said:
So there is not a config file that is used to load custom variables? That's kinda goofy.

I agree but it really doesn't bother me, you can always send Brad Smith an email
Via the beer smith page and let him know you'd like him to add the feature:)

So there is not a config file that is used to load custom variables? That's kinda goofy.

i don't see it as a hassle, there is a quick option to change to today's date if you need to get a more accurate estimate but in reality you need to enter the actual date anyways so whether it starts with Jan 2011 or the current date at some point I still have to go in to manually change it to match what date the package was manufactured on

Back