Beer Purchase Suggestions - Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincy17

Reaction score
I am headed to visit the in-laws in Minnesota next week and need recommendations for beers to look for along my way that I can't get in Ohio. I will be passing though Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota and going through Chicago, Madison, and Minneapolis/St. Paul if anyone can suggest beers to look for and maybe even specific places to look for in those cities. Unfortunately I won't be able to check out any breweries along the way because we are traveling with our neurotic dog and driving pretty much straight through. Thanks in advance!

Definitely New Glarus brewery. Their standard beers are freat (esp their hefeweizen called Dancing Man), and they have a series where they do stuff very few other breweries do, like a Berliner Weisse and a spectacular wild sour ale. Grab some Lakefront beers, and when you're in Madison, hit the Ale Asylum and Tyranena Brewery (which is a little to the east of Madison.). Cheers!

You can find all those in stores along the way, so no need to hit the breweries if the dog prevents that.

Woodmans is a grocery store chain in WI, lots of locations. Typically a huge selection of beer, wine, and booze. No credit cards though, cash/check/debit card.

My current favorite, Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale. Hopalicious from Ale Asylum is good as well.

Stop in a Binny's on your way through Chicago and grab some Revolution (anti-hero, rosa) and Pipeworks (blood of the unicorn, ninja vs unicorn) stuff. Almost everything they make is great, but the ones mentioned above are outstanding. Half Acre has a few good beers, but I don't care for the stuff you would find in a store.

Definitely New Glarus brewery. Their standard beers are freat (esp their hefeweizen called Dancing Man), and they have a series where they do stuff very few other breweries do, like a Berliner Weisse and a spectacular wild sour ale. Grab some Lakefront beers, and when you're in Madison, hit the Ale Asylum and Tyranena Brewery (which is a little to the east of Madison.). Cheers!

Jon hit a lot of good ones here. I'd also throw out there Milwaukee Brewing Company. They make some great brews too.

Oh, and if you see Sprecher Black Bavarian anywhere, grab it. It comes in 4-packs of 16 oz bottles.

You need to stop at Dangerous Man or Indeed in Northeast Minneapolis. They are very easy to find and located in an area with many breweries if you have a free afternoon.

+1 on Woodman's for really nice selection. I go to the one in LaCrosse every now and then.

+1 on Ale Asylum out of Madison

+1 on New Glarus Beers in Wisconsin. If you are into sours (or wanting to try them), New glarus has some good ones in the big champagne style bottles as singles - so look for those. Serendipity, Raspberry Tart..... I think they have another new one out too recently...

Surly in Minnesota is a good one usually

Braufessor said:
+1 on Woodman's for really nice selection. I go to the one in LaCrosse every now and then.

+1 on Ale Asylum out of Madison

+1 on New Glarus Beers in Wisconsin. If you are into sours (or wanting to try them), New glarus has some good ones in the big champagne style bottles as singles - so look for those. Serendipity, Raspberry Tart..... I think they have another new one out too recently...

Surly in Minnesota is a good one usually

I've been to the Woodman's in Lacrosse and it is easy access to the interstate. If you can't wait that long, there's one in Rockford, IL that's also on your route.

Three Floyd's Brewpub is right off of I80/90 in Munster IN... They have a carry out door for cases to go.. Its about the only place to find some of their more elusive brands (IF they even have them there...).

If you're in Minneapolis, stop at Northern Brewer's retail store and do some shipping-free shopping too.

Good call on Northern Brewer in Minneapolis, also Midwest Supplies is just south of Minneapolis. I personally prefer Northern Brewer though.

Surly is a must. Surly Furious is an outstanding IPA, Bender and Coffee Bender is a really good Oatmeal Brown ale and Bitter is their english bitter(summer seasonal beer). All of those are worth a try.

Other than that, we have a lot of small new breweries like Lift Bridge, Fulton, Flat Earth, Dangerous Man, 612 Brew, Indead brewery and a bunch of others that are all getting a pretty good reputation around here.

You should definitely pick up some surly in minnesota

Agreed! That's my favorite brewery, and their beers are only available in and around the Twin Cities. Grab some- it's in 4 pack 16 ounce cans. I love Furious (an IPA) but Bender is probably the bigger seller.

In Wisconsin, New Glarus as was mentioned is the best one to look for, as it's not distributed out of WI. (I was walking around holding some New Glarus for AnOldUR in Philadelphia, and people stopped to offer me trades that were pretty great- so it's very desirable out of WI!). I don't know if there is a Woodman's in Madison on your route, but google it and stop at one if at all possible- great selection of Wisconsin and other craft beers.

You're coming through at the right time to get some Hop Centric from Two Brothers (formerly called Hop Juice) if you're in IIPA fan. Also, based on what you're saying, if you can make it to Vernon Hills, IL, off of I-294, check out a place called the Beer Market. Huge selection of local and regional brews. One that I would recommend, if you want a really cool, interesting, and delicious beer, is from a place called Small Town Brewery in Wauconda, IL. It's called Not Your Father's Root Beer. 10% ABV and tastes like drinking a Barq's! It's awesome. And I give a +1 to whoever it was that recommended Pipeworks. Best new brewery in Illinois right now IMO and everything from there is phenomenal. Remember that they bottle condition everything, so you will want to chill a bit before drinking just like a homebrew to let the yeast settle. They actually put that on the bottles for those who wouldn't know!

Right off I-94 in Lansing, IL is a relatively new brewery called One trick pony. Very casual, great beer. Well worth the stop.

If you're in Minneapolis, stop at Northern Brewer's retail store and do some shipping-free shopping too.

Just did that yesterday! I went to the one on Grand Ave in St Paul. As I pulled up and saw the storefront I thought I was in trouble, but it was amazing how much they cram into that place. If they sell it, it was probably there. Except for Cascade pellets!!!

Back on topic, I'll agree with everyone that said New Glarus and Surly. Those are both no brainers.

x whatever on the Surly

I was also really impressed with Schell's (yeah yeah I know) and their Star of the North Berlener Weisse. Quite tasty.

We were driving through Minneapolis a few weeks back and stopped at a place in St. Louis Park called The Four Firkins and they had a lot of local MN/WI stuff. Pricing was a bit higher than what we were used to here in CO, but the selection was solid.

New Glarus would be on the list even though they sold out to the man. Don't forget to get yourself some 10-15 year old wisconsin aged cheddar. It will go great with the beers.

Begian Red by New Glarus (WI)
Tyranina Sheep Shagger, Bitter Woman IPA, and Scurvy IIPA. (WI)
Ale Asylum Hoppalicous (WI)
Rush River BubbleJack (WI, MN)
Surly Furious, Wet if it's out (MN)
Might be able to find some Founder's specialties that you can't find in Ohio

Yooper said:
What does "sold out to the man" mean? Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing... I know they are growing by leaps and bounds. But have not heard that they've been sold or anything.
Back on topic +1 on the Lakefront and New Glarus, as you travel on 94 stop at Hudson Brewing in Hudson WI, and pick up some of their American Sky beers. They have a tap room or you can find it stores... I'm dying to try some Surly.. Got to get over the river to get some. If you stop here in Eau Claire. Look for some Lazy Monk beers. Very small brewery. Only in growlers in stores...

I'll agree with New Glarus. You can actually stop at most any Quik Trip along the interstate and they will have it.

In Chicago you need to look for anything by Pipeworks.

Once in Minneapolis, definitely get some surly. The Four Firkins in St. Louis Park is an amazing craft beer only store. They have free tastings on Friday and Saturday nights from 6 until close. Its also right near Midwest Supplies and Steel Toe Brewing.

If you have a chance to get west of the cities. There is a new small brewery in Victoria, MN. Its called Enki. They are open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Definitely do not pick up some New Glarus thumbprint wild sour ale ;) or IIPA (if any is left) or their 20th anniversary BDSA

Another vote for New Glarus.
Another vote for 3 Floyds.
And another for Surly.

My brother lived in Chicago for a while. He knew that I would be happy with anything from those 3.

Yep, Hopalicious by the Ale Asylum is awesome. They even have kind of a series of IPAs - Hopalicious, Ballistic, and Satisfaction Jackson. They get bigger and hoppier as you go up the list and they're all really good.

You all are awesome! Looks like I have quite a bit to search for. I want to get some Surly and New Glarus for sure along with anything else I can find that you all have mentioned. Going to have to make a list from this thread and start searching for where to stop along the route.

Two Brother's.... you can get some of their stuff in ohio but not all of it.

I know a lot of people will disagree and that's fine, but i have only had two new glarus drinks that i liked i find them to be over rated. that said any article/interview that i have ever read has made me want to have a beer with them...just not theirs.

Big Eddy's (which i think is a line-n-googles co) has some okay stuff.

Revolution brewing can be gotten in cans. we have one place you can get it in columbus but it's only because the brewmaster use to work for them. They have a good india brown ale.

Tyranina has a great bourbon aged beer too.

Getting 3 floyds will make you a beer nerds idle. we use to have a bottle shop that got some it back in 2007 but i haven't seen it there since.

"Big Eddy's (which i think is a line-n-googles co) has some okay stuff."

My dad has a saying. Leinenkugel's ..... From the waters of the Big Eddy .... But they don't tell you Big Eddy is a horse.

Yes Leinie's has some good stuff. I like the Canoe Paddler and the Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. I haven't tried any of the Big Eddy stuff. http://leinie.com/Default.aspx#beers

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Central Waters brewery of Anherst, WI. They are quite a bit out of your way during your trip but there barrel aged beers are incredible. I can highly recommend their Brewers Reserve Barrel Stout if it is available. I enjoyed all of the beers that we sampled at a recent home brew club meeting.

pvtschultz said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Central Waters brewery of Anherst, WI. They are quite a bit out of your way during your trip but there barrel aged beers are incredible. I can highly recommend their Brewers Reserve Barrel Stout if it is available. I enjoyed all of the beers that we sampled at a recent home brew club meeting.

Central waters for sure!! Peruvian morning barrel aged stout is great!! Also, New Glarus is a must. Black Top black IPA is great but you can't go wrong with any of their beers!!

New Glarus would be on the list even though they sold out to the man. Don't forget to get yourself some 10-15 year old wisconsin aged cheddar. It will go great with the beers.

Dont listen to this azz wipe. New glarus has sold out to no one. I can wait to get up there next week and pick up a couple cases.

Back