beer/no power - is it good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I live in North Alabama, and if you have seen the news, we got slammed by tornado's.

My entire family was lucky, and i only have minor tree damage....

However, i've been with no electricity from last Wed. until last nite.

I have 2 carboy's of beer that have been sitting in the fridge in the garage. They have airlocks, and they have not got warmer than about 80 degrees.

Will they still be good? I am going to keg them and give them a try in a couple of weeks.

just thought I'd ask. They are for a moving in party for some friends that just finished what I would call hell-on-earth....They built a house and are about finished and ready to close and move in.

Thanks ,

Chad

I've little doubt they'll be fine. Unless the airlocks popped off or something, you'll have beer. Hope things pick up for you soon, although with fresh beer on tap, they probably will in some way! :)

if they were brewed before last monday, i wouldn't worry a bit.

If one was a Saison, you're golden. How long were they in the carboys before the power went out?

Glad to hear you and your family escaped that horror for the most part.

Really, fermentation temps are only critical for the first few days. After the bulk of the ferment is complete, you won't get much of the off-flavor associated with high temps. I think you're good. And as long as it didn't get above 80, you're probably very good!

Yeah, I go with 'they'll be alright' too. I mean, many of us fermented (and I'm sure many still do) without using a fridge or modified freezer for quite a few batches.
After seeing what you guys went through up there, YOU NEED A BEER -more than most of us. Enjoy it for sure.

yeah, they were fermented and have been in the secondary carboy for about a week or so before we lost power. I think they will be fine.

And i have definitely been drinking the beer. Work has had no power for 6 days, and i was on call until power came back, so I worked the last 2-3 days almost non-stop hooking up generators, and running temporary power cables to equipment.

Back