Beer line cleaning set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
I've gleaned so much from these forums, mainly brew techniques, I thought it is time to offer something back...

Here is my version of a beer line cleaner made for my keezer I built last year. It has 4 taps therefore a 4 line cleaner. Items were sourced at the cheapest places I could find (I'm retired and on a budget called thrifty.)

1/4" fittings were from China via e-bay, yeah I know...(beware one T had slightly messed up threads but pipe sealant worked because there isn't much pressure.) As was the pump, it's small and I could use a larger one which I will get when this one goes. Another e-bay get were the bev out keg posts for $8.88ea with shipping it was the most expensive part of the build (You can control expense by only doing one line, which I did at first, or add as many as you want to cut cleaning time.) Silicon tubing was from MoreBeer, not necessarily the cheapest but it was added onto a free shipping order. Williams Brewing had the best price, $5ea, on the male NPT corny post adapters. That's it with a little pipe sealant, a 2 gallon bucket and LLC.

I leave the taps on (pull and clean them after.) Put the bucket on a bar stool. It cuts the pump head, lift, and gives you more flow. I disconnect the beer lines and hook them to the line cleaning manifold. I put 4 pieces of the silicone tubing over the tap ends (open or close taps for more flow to others) into the solution bucket. Mix the LLC, hook up the pump to manifold and let her flow. After 10-15 mins the lines are clean. A rinse with water and back onto the beer. If a line isn't gong to be used over time I leave it filled with sterilized water.

IMG_20150323_134244_637.jpg

That looks great. I am at the moment working on a jockey box and eventually plan on taking over the small chest freezer. This looks like a great way to clean. I think until I can build something like this my plan is to use one keg to hold cleaning solution and have the CO2 hooked up to it to force it through the lines.

So... this is for running some cleaner continuously thru the beer line?

I just use a 2.5 gal keg with hot water and pbw and run it through my lines and let it sit for 10 min, rinse with sanitizer. Then clean faucets after. i dont see a need to have it continuously go tru the beer line....

So... this is for running some cleaner continuously thru the beer line?

I just use a 2.5 gal keg with hot water and pbw and run it through my lines and let it sit for 10 min, rinse with sanitizer. Then clean faucets after. i dont see a need to have it continuously go tru the beer line....

Due to cold weather, I boil outside here in buffalo, I was unable to brew and tapped out. One was my Xmas Xtra a Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout. The empty line sat. I could see the dark residue in the line. I run Bev-seal ultra lines. Gallons of flow through the lines "take away" the residue and dissolve it. It is a matter of preference I guess. I mix only one gallon and can clean all lines and faucets with it (not every time on the faucets.) Plus I like the ability to hit all taps at once and be done with it. I only have 8 kegs and usually no spare laying about. I'm into it for about $100 and can clean all my lines in less than a half hour having everything put away. I like it.

Do you clean the lines after every keg kicks or you do it once in a while?

Not really, it depends on what was in it and what is going. Obviously we don't have beer flowing like a bar tap and it is recommended for bars to clean every two weeks. Most do once a month if you're lucky. I like to do mine once a month. Now that I have the set up finished I may do it more often if I notice any problems with taste.

Latest posts

Back